350 Power

Answered Question
Sep 13th, 2002
User Badges:

I am looking to order 350 Access-Points and Wireless Bridge but I am confused by the power options. The sites are small (5 802.11b users) so I do not need a switch (3524-PWR). Do I have to buy a Power Injector for both AP and bridge or can I power them via mains (not inline power).

Also can one AP support 5 users, I know it says 3 non-overlapping channels, does this mean that the bandwidth will reduce if all 5 access at the same time. Any assistance would really help.

Cheers

Andy Irving

Wireless Newbie

Correct Answer by ED CARMODY about 14 years 11 months ago

The 350 Series gear all ships with an included single-port inline power injector. You can just plug this into a wall outlet (ups is preferable).

The bandwidth of APs is going to be around 6 Mbps in an all-Cisco environment; this bandwidth will be shared among all users, if they are all trying to access the AP at the same time.

Cisco says 20-30 users, depending on what they are doing across the wireless link. Latency-sensitive apps, like voice or video, are going to decrease the number of users you can have on each AP.

Do you have any network utilization stats for the site you are trying to connect? Typically, 6 Mbps of bandwidth is plenty for 5 users, as long as they're not pushing huge files around all day.

Overall Rating: 4.5 (2 ratings)
d.nogueira Fri, 09/13/2002 - 03:29
User Badges:

The AP's I have installed already come with a power injector.

As to the bandwidth if you have the 5 users on the same AP you will have one fifth of the AP's bandwidth per user.

You can only take advantage from the 3 non-overlapping channels if you have more than one AP, thus configuring each one on a non-overlapping channel so that the AP's will not interfere with each others performance.

Correct Answer
ED CARMODY Sat, 09/14/2002 - 16:51
User Badges:

The 350 Series gear all ships with an included single-port inline power injector. You can just plug this into a wall outlet (ups is preferable).

The bandwidth of APs is going to be around 6 Mbps in an all-Cisco environment; this bandwidth will be shared among all users, if they are all trying to access the AP at the same time.

Cisco says 20-30 users, depending on what they are doing across the wireless link. Latency-sensitive apps, like voice or video, are going to decrease the number of users you can have on each AP.

Do you have any network utilization stats for the site you are trying to connect? Typically, 6 Mbps of bandwidth is plenty for 5 users, as long as they're not pushing huge files around all day.

Actions

This Discussion

Trending Topics: Other Wireless Mobility

client could not be authenticated
Network Analysis Module (NAM) Products
Cisco 6500 nam
reason 440 driver failure
Cisco password cracker
Cisco Wireless mode