cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

COMMAND TO FIND SERIAL NUMBER OF ROUTER/SWITCHES

pbarman
Level 5
Level 5

ARE THERE ANY COMMANDS WHICH WILL GIVE THE CHASSIS SERIAL NUMBER AS OUTPUT, FOR ROUTERS? ALSO, IF ANYONE KNOWS A COMMAND FOR SWITCHES THAT WOULD BE HELPFUL.

27 Replies 27

DWA
Level 1
Level 1

Show version

Just to be extra confusing, the Cisco Small Business line of switches (SG300, SF300, etc) use a different command to display the serial number:

show systemid

There is a show version command, but it does not include the serial number for whatever reason.

Thanks alot, I have SG300 and yesterday searched about 3 hours to find the serial number. Show System id was the right one.

Wrong, the correct syntax is 'show system id'

thanks 

The "show version" command will display the Processor board ID, which is the serial number. You can verify with the "show inventory" (this is as of 3.16.04b.s).

Glad I didn't wait 16 years for this!

Prashanth Krishnappa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

show ver should work for most switches

OMRCS1> (enable) sh ver

WS-C6506 Software, Version NmpSW: 6.2(2)

Copyright (c) 1995-2001 by Cisco Systems

NMP S/W compiled on May 24 2001, 19:28:46

System Bootstrap Version: 6.1(4)

Hardware Version: 2.0 Model: WS-C6506 Serial #: TBA04480798 <<<<------

PS1 Module: WS-CAC-1300W Serial #: ACP03160338

Mod Port Model Serial # Versions

In CAT4006 running older code, sh ver will not give the correct serial number. You can use "sh sprom chassis". If you have a CAT6000 running native IOS, you can use "sh idprom all"

For routers, try using "show diag". You could also use SNMP to gather serial numbers

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/477/SNMP/chassis.shtml

mmarcus
Level 1
Level 1

sorry to say , the show ver on routers will not show you the serial number related to the router

show version shows processor board ID not the chassis number.

Some new model of routers with newer release of IOS show chassis number by using SHOW SNMP command. you can define it in router configuration by using SNMP CHASSIS for older releases and devices.

fibinfaizal
Level 1
Level 1

"Show inventory" command should work. 

After 13 years I think the original poster might have figured it out. :)

LOL.. I am noticing the time now.. It might not be helpful for the poster but might be helpful for someone who is searching for it now.. :) 

Thanks!

fibinfaizal  of course it was useful ..... 13 years lol

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: