Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrading 6500 Software

techman
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

We have a number of 6500s all running software releases that are below the minimum recommended. We are planning on upgrading to the latest recommended version of software. Having had a look at the "Software Advisor" it recommended 12.1(4)E1 which was deferred, and replaced by 12.1(7a)E1 (min)

Is there any reason that we shouldn't move from the version we are currently running 5.4(2) directly to the latest release ?

3 Replies 3

rmcarthur
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, be careful here. The 12.1(x) software versions you refer to are either the combined (native) IOS images for the switch chassis (turns it into a router) or the images for any MSFC(2) cards you may have installed on the supervisor cards.

The latest available CATOS version I believe is 7.4(2).

I never upgrade software unless there is a specific reason to do it. If you are having problems with bugs, then by all means, go ahead. But it the version you are on has been stable, and there are no technology reasons to upgrade, stay where you are.

Prashanth Krishnappa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

if you are currently running 5.4(2), then you are in hybrid mode. I suggest that you upgrade to 5.5(17) which is the latest General deployment in 5.x. I would not suggest 7.x unless you need the features of 7.x. However, make sure you read the release notes

http://cio.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat6000/relnotes/index.htm