cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IP SoftPhone Queing

stephen.wilcox
Level 1
Level 1

I'm currenting researching softphone implementation on a 6509, My understanding is that QoS for softphones is chosen at lyr 3 with ipprec or dscp. This is fine for segment/segment communication. What about interswitch/same vlan communication? The switch has no way to assign ToS sence the packet never leave lyr 2 and CoS is only defines with hardphones and the uses of ext-untrust. Does the softphone application define CoS? If so How? and Is it configurable? or Can the 6509 configure CoS for lyr 2 port for softphone?

2 Replies 2

rchapman
Level 1
Level 1

The IP Phones are able to tag the L2 traffic only when the link is configured as a trunk. The COS value is stored in the 802.1q header. Since your not trunking to your PC that pretty much impossible to tag that traffic from the application. I am pretty sure all Cisco switches support setting the COS value on the port.

*** www.iptnetworkers.com *** small but growing!

They do but not for softphones only hardphones.... I has hopping for a better understanding of the softphone application and see if QoS happens there at all. sence it will communicate intercollision domain

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: