cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Error writing NVRAM ... cannot size NVRAM

irfan
Level 1
Level 1

Initially the router was not even booting up. I used rommon to load another image and now the router boots up. One of the error that hasn't gone away is this:

Error writing NVRAM ... cannot size NVRAM

When i do sh ver, I see this line:

0K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory.

When i do "write", i get this:

startup-config file open failed (Not enough space)

When I run "setup", after a few Yes, I get this:

%No memory available

What is wrong with my nvram? Just a side note, I have plenty of dram available.

9 Replies 9

Erick Bergquist
Level 6
Level 6

What type of router is this?

Have you tried to do a write erase to clear out the NVRAM to see if that clears things up?

Erick

1751v

Router#wri erase

Erasing the nvram filesystem will remove all files! Continue? [confirm]

[Failed]

%Error erasing nvram: ()

irfan
Level 1
Level 1

This is a 1751V running 12.2.2T.

Irfan

What is the exact filename of the image and is the image is for the 1751V?

Is this a new router that you haven't got working yet, or was this working fine at some point?

c1700-sv8y-mz.122-8.T.bin

It was running fine at one time with this same image. In fact, I have over 400 of this exact router with the same image installed. I'm thinking the nvram chip has gone bad.

deilert
Level 6
Level 6

I beleive you have encountered bug # CSCdp67403

I just read this bug. It refers to accessing the router simultaneously, which is not the case here. I consoled into the router while no other interface was connected. There is no running-config on it either. When I do "show run", I see nothing, not a single line of config. When I do config t, and add some commands, I still don't see anything. I'm leaning towards this router having bad nvram. Once I got a message "NVRAM: Device not found".

Accessing the box simultaneously only has to happen once. We had a whople slew of boxes that this occurred on . I suggest opening a TAC case to verify.

Should this problem persist even after several cold reboots and an image reload?