cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Error writing NVRAM ... cannot size NVRAM

irfan
Level 1
Level 1

Initially the router was not even booting up. I used rommon to load another image and now the router boots up. One of the error that hasn't gone away is this:

Error writing NVRAM ... cannot size NVRAM

When i do sh ver, I see this line:

0K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory.

When i do "write", i get this:

startup-config file open failed (Not enough space)

When I run "setup", after a few Yes, I get this:

%No memory available

What is wrong with my nvram? Just a side note, I have plenty of dram available.

9 Replies 9

Erick Bergquist
Level 6
Level 6

What type of router is this?

Have you tried to do a write erase to clear out the NVRAM to see if that clears things up?

Erick

1751v

Router#wri erase

Erasing the nvram filesystem will remove all files! Continue? [confirm]

[Failed]

%Error erasing nvram: ()

irfan
Level 1
Level 1

This is a 1751V running 12.2.2T.

Irfan

What is the exact filename of the image and is the image is for the 1751V?

Is this a new router that you haven't got working yet, or was this working fine at some point?

c1700-sv8y-mz.122-8.T.bin

It was running fine at one time with this same image. In fact, I have over 400 of this exact router with the same image installed. I'm thinking the nvram chip has gone bad.

deilert
Level 6
Level 6

I beleive you have encountered bug # CSCdp67403

I just read this bug. It refers to accessing the router simultaneously, which is not the case here. I consoled into the router while no other interface was connected. There is no running-config on it either. When I do "show run", I see nothing, not a single line of config. When I do config t, and add some commands, I still don't see anything. I'm leaning towards this router having bad nvram. Once I got a message "NVRAM: Device not found".

Accessing the box simultaneously only has to happen once. We had a whople slew of boxes that this occurred on . I suggest opening a TAC case to verify.

Should this problem persist even after several cold reboots and an image reload?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: