Views
Helpful
Replies

Distance of 1000BaseT Crossover cable

ctam
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

It would be grateful if you can give advice on using 1000BaseT Crossover cable.

As I understand the max distance of 1000baseT is 100m which is based on Straight Cable. I have an experience on using crossover 100baseT which does not work over 50m, so I guess the max distance of 100baseT is based on straight cable.

Does you have experience on using crossover 1000baseT for inter-switch connection over ~50m since I want to use it to connect switches between floors.

Thanks,

Cliff

4 Replies 4

randyclark
Level 1
Level 1

I have had several 100baseT cables connecting floors, but the cable was straight through between the patch panels and I used a patch cable for the crossover. I haven't tried 1000baseT that far as we changed to fiber between floors.

Indeed it would be better to use fiber between switches,

1. distance extension

2. external galvanic influences

3. scalability (10gb eth is on the way)

msjouw
Level 1
Level 1

Cliff,

I'have been using cross-over cables between 1000BaseT GBIC's and a 3550-12-T between floors very succesfully. Do keep in mind that the GBIC is auto cross sensing so you don't need to use a crosscable. The best is to use CAT5E or CAT6 as cables between points. DO NOT make your own cables unless you are really sure you can do it really properly.

Regards, Maarten Sjouw

FedEx

Hi Maarten,

Thank you very much for your valuable information.

Cliff.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: