Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Dial Backup

My remote router located at the other end of the Frame relay WAN could not initiate a dial back when the mainlink is down,

Previously using the leased line connection, dial backup will having no problem connecting through PSTN when the mainlink is down (leased line)but when we begin to convert our leased line to frame relay the problem surfaced. The signals in interface where the Mainlink (frame relay) are all up, though the backbone is down, with this situation the dial backup modem will not start.

4 Replies 4

vincent-n
Level 3
Level 3

I'm guessing here that when the problem occurs, though the PVC in the carriers is down, but on the router serial interface it still shows as UP and UP right? Another word LMI and PVC status still up between the router and the FR cloud. I have this problem before and it is directly related to the command "backup-interface ..." configured under the serial interface. To get around this problem, I simply take that command off the serial interface and use floating static route instead. Another word I rely simply on the L3 to provide me backup link. Let me know if this work.

Thanks but could i get more details on how will i do it.

use floating static route instead. Another word I rely simply on the L3 to provide me backup link.?

Absolutely. Use L3 to provide backup. I've tested the L2 stuff (backup-interface) several times but always fail. Since using L3, it never failed on me. With floating static route, I'm using an AD value of 200 for my floating static route. That is "ip route x.x.x.x y.y.y.y z.z.z.z 200".

Thanks ill try your advice..

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: