Views
Helpful
Replies

Problems with replication on ACS 3.0.2

nuno.santos
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

i have two servers A and B. A is the primary and B the backup. i can replicate the users and AAA clients but i can't replicate the ip pools defined on the server A. How can i do that? On the log and report messages the output is: replication completed. Maybe is not a replication problem but a missing parameter.

Thanks

4 Replies 4

gfullage
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

IP Pools have never (and probably never will be) included as part of the replication. Since ACS servers pretty much run independently of each other as far as giving out IP addresses is involved, it's important that the ACS servers have different pools of addresses on them (in most cases anyway) so that you don't run the risk of allocating the same IP address to two different sessions.

This can be a bit of a pain in the situations where serverB is truly only a backup and is only ever used when serverA is off-line. In reality though, many installations of backup servers use both servers to authenticate users, and in these cases it's vital that the two servers have different pools of addresses.

For this reason, the product has always been designed to not replicate the IP pools, and in those circumstances where one server is only used as a backup for the other, you'll have to manually add them in on the backup server.

I have the same structure as Nuno (in fact I have a 3rd ACS kept for Disaster Recovery purposes, and being replicated by the primary ACS overnight), and in my opinion in most cases all of the conf. components on the primary & backup ACS will be identical. So would be the IP pools. If one would like to allocate different IP pools for different locations, she can manage this by using IP pools or NASes. I think this feature should certainly be developed. At least as an alternative. As a replications option/components which can be selected separately.

Ok. So, i have defined two different ip pools. One on Active Server and the second one on Backup server. When i force the replication, Backup server deactivate the ip pool and, in case of Active fails, there is no ip to attribute to the client. There is any way to fix the ip pool keeping the replication active?

Thanks

nuno.santos
Level 1
Level 1

Thaks for your support

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: