cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Load balancing with two routers and two circuits

jkoepsell
Level 1
Level 1

What is the best way to get load balancing with two routers and two circuits at each location. Right now I have fail over configured and working, but since I have the circuit in place, I would like to use the second line. No sense in just having it sit around and do nothing.

6 Replies 6

prafuljaded
Level 3
Level 3

I didnt get what do u mean by failover.

Are you using Static routing / routing protocol?

hrs or hot router standby. If one circuit or router goes down the other takes over.

ngijare
Level 1
Level 1

If you have two routers, and two serial links of same speed connecting them, then OSPF or EIGRP will automatically do the load balancing between these two links.

If the links are of different speeds, then you can configure load balancing by using EIGRP. OSPF only does load balancing on equal cost paths.....

Hope this helps

I currently am using these protocols and all traffic goes across one link. The links are of equal costs. what in the config does the load balancing. can you give me an example config that uses two routers two circuits and uses load balancing between the two.

your HS or hsrp configurations are preventing load balancing if you disable the feature the eigrp protocol will calculate the metric of each link and balance for you provided that both routers are using the same eigrp as.

rais
Level 7
Level 7

You can use multigroup HSRP. You can divide the destination network into two destinations or have some of your hosts use the second router as the next-hop.

Thanks.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: