Views
Helpful
Replies

VLANs bridging over ISDN

yallies
Level 1
Level 1

hello,

I 'ld like to know if it's possible to bridge several IEEE 802.1q VLANS (with a different IP network # for each) over an ISDN line with CISCO2610XM at both end. This is a back-up configuration that'll be awaked manually.

thank

2 Replies 2

rsissons
Level 5
Level 5

I am not sure that I completely understand what you are trying to do but if you are normally terminating several vlans in a router, and routing IP between them, then the only way you can then bridge that IP traffic over a different interface in the same router, is by configuring IRB, Integrated Routing and Bridging, and that is not supported over ISDN.

thank for your answer, but I think I've to give you more détails.

My customer has a LAN covering two locations linked by an inter-LAN service (Ethernet 100Mb/s from a provider), and several VLANs over this LAN . Communications between VLANs are routed by a 3550-12T on one site.

We wan't to install a back-up solution in case of failure of the inter-LAN link. So we think to an ISDN line withe 2 routers 2610XM, but they 'll have to bridge the VLANs and no to route them because we have the same at each end.