Views
Helpful
Replies

EIGRP networks

karl.jones
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All

I need to include the entire 172.16.x.x subnet in the eigrp routing table bar one subnet, this is 172.16.111.0/24. Is there any way with eigrp that I can deny only that one subnet from the routing table rather than put the 172.16.x.x statement in many times with wildcard masks. Is this possible, it would be handy if it was.

Best regards

7 Replies 7

rsissons
Level 5
Level 5

You ccan use the distribute-list command under EIGRP to specify any IP access list so all you need to do is set up the access list with a deny for the 172.16.111.0/24 subnet followed by a permit any any.

Ok ... thanks

I have a built a NAS with and the net 172.16.111.0/24 as a pool for dialin clients. To prevent 32 bit routes being put into the routing table, I have put a static ip route in the config on the NAS for this 24 bit net to null 0 and then redistributed this. I guess I wanted less interaction in the routing tables on the wan.

Thanks for advice.

I see, that your target was to prevent /32 routes from reaching other EIGRP routers. What you could really do is include 172.16.111.0 into EIGRP, put a passive interface on the virtual template interface or which ever interface which terminates the RAS connections from dialup clients, and then use a summarization to /24 mask on the ethernet interface, (or which ever interface)which connects to other eigrp routers. Using summarization (ip summary-address) command will cause the IOS to automatically put a same summary route on its routing table, pointing to null 0. This way you can avoid redistribution commands.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

Hi

I think that sounds great .... thanks .... I had toyed with the idea but not quite worked it all out.

Thanks again

Hi

Just one Q which I forgot .... I am going to passive int the virtual template that the TA users dial in too, do I need to do the same for the int group-async 1 ... the users dialling via modems, I think it would be correct too but could you advise.

Many thanks

There is no harm adding two passive interface, one for each...

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: