Views
Helpful
Replies

backplane usage on 2950/2924XL

frans
Level 1
Level 1

hi,

I've been searching for a while for possibilities to remotely check the backplane usage of 2950 and 2924XL switches.

The only way I've been able to find is to use the buttons on the front of the switch and look for the UTL stats, which displays the stats through the LEDs on the switch on a logarithmic scale.

It would be helpful if there was a 'show' command for this value, or a way to read it through SNMP.

Is there such a thing ??

thanks!

Frans

2 Replies 2

pradeepde
Level 5
Level 5

On the Catalyst switches running a CatOS, you can easily check the overall backplane usage using the show system command. This command is very useful because it will give you not only the current usage of the switch backplane, but also specifies the peak usage (and its date). An unusual peak utilization shows you whether there has ever been a bridging loop or not on this device.

You can configure backplane threshold detection by using a high threshold as a percentage. When backplane traffic goes over the specified threshold, compared with the previous traffic poll, a syslog message is generated. However, if you specify a 100-percent threshold (the default), no syslog message is generated.

See the following URl for more information:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a008007ec36.html#xtocid19

Thanks, however, the 2950 and 2924XL series that I know, do not run CatOS, but IOS. Given the silence in the past week, I'm just assuming this impossible for the moment - would be a nice Feature Request, or am I really the only person interested.

cheers,

Frans