cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

write network command parameters

axfalk
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to upload my Cat 5500 config file to a computer. How do I configure a redentials (user-id, password) for that host on the write network command line?

Thanks.

_ Alex

7 Replies 7

Frederic Vanderbecq
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The 'write network' command can only be used to upload a config file on a TFTP server in its root directory. Thus, you cannot specify a username and password for the remote host on that command.

If the TFTP server is on a Unix box, remember to create an empty file with the name of the config file and make sure there are 'write' rights for all users on that file.

Thanks for your response. I am trying to upload the config to a CW2K (running on a W2K box) machine, that, supposedly, has a TFTP server embedded in it and I am getting "access violation" error message.

_ Alex

You are trying to write to a file via tftp.

The tftp server deamon requires the destination file exists.

Create an empty file with the correct name and you are in business!

Thanks for your response. I have tried your suggestion but to no avail. Besides, I can tftp that file fine to my W2K box that's running a TFTP server. Why can't I do the same to the CW2K box? Any other suggestions please?

Thanks.

- Alex

I am doing the same to MY CW2K machine and I am sure that this is your issue! Did you choose the correct directory?

for Windows Edition4 it is:

/cscopx/tftpboot

There are some implementations of tftp that do not require the file to exist. These are bad implementations. The rule is: file must exist.

and the filename is case-sensitive.

for unix, the directory & file must have appropriate write-permissions [777]

I tried your latest suggestion in creating a file (or a placeholder) in the cscopx/tftpboot directory on my CW2K machine and then uploading the config into it, but could not do it again. This is what I get:

Upload configuration to sw22.cfg on 172.21.72.100 (y/n) [n]? y

Access violation.

TFTP connection fail(0).

TFTP: Abnormal Termination

I made sure everyone has the write access to both the cscopx and the tftpboot directory.

Thanks.

_ Alex

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: