Warning message

• Cisco Support Forums is in Read Only mode while the site is being migrated.
  • Cisco Support Forums is in Read Only mode while the site is being migrated.

Linksys BEFSX41 VPN to Pix 515E

Unanswered Question
Dec 29th, 2002
User Badges:

I've been scouring forums and the cisco website to get this vpn going now for

about a week. Total newbie to vpn's :o

I have a 515E at my main site and a couple remotes with linksys befsx41 vpn routers on cable and dsl. The Pix has 3 interfaces, outside, dmz and inside.

I have succesfully setup the Pix for pptp and ipsec using the Cisco Vpn client and was able to access the internal network ok. Now I'm trying to get the linksys connected with no luck. Just to make sure I didn't have any overlapping configurations, I no'd all the vpn client setup to bring the Pix back to a clean config before trying to setup the ipsec site to site.

My main goal is to have the linksys routers initiate the connection and allow 3 or 4 users access over the tunnel to the main site.

Anyone who can guide me in the right direction without having to get my CCIE first I would appreciate it!

TIA

Rod

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
rod.caglia@elec... Mon, 12/30/2002 - 02:26
User Badges:

Wow,

After 36 hours of no sleep and reading "IPSec User Guide for the Cisco Secure Pix Firewall Version 6.0" and trying numerous configurations I got it to work!

Anyone new to Pix and or VPN should read the above document through about 5 times and it all becomes clear.

If anyone wants to see how this setup works, email me or reply here and I will send the configuration for the Pix and Linksys.

pat.daniels Thu, 01/02/2003 - 09:36
User Badges:

Rod, I am about to do exactly what you have just done. I would be grateful if you could email me the pix and linksys config - especially the linksys.

Thanks in anticipation of your help.

Regards Pat Daniels

acninet Tue, 01/07/2003 - 10:27
User Badges:

Hi pat,

I would appreciate if you share me your config too, ive trying to figure out how my linksys BEFV41 connects to pix 515 or concentrator but no luck..

thanks.

cym

portalmedia Thu, 02/13/2003 - 14:07
User Badges:

I, too, am attempting to set up a BEFVP41 to a PIX. The BEFVP41 has a dynamic address, and we already have the PIX set up to accept connections using the Cisco VPN client. I'd appreciate any e-mailed help that the forum could offer me!

plambrecht@capco.be Wed, 02/19/2003 - 05:22
User Badges:

I've got the linksys BEFVP41 up and running with a PIX 501 and PIX 515

At the same time the 501 is connected to a Cisco IOS router as a site-to-site VPN tunnel and to Cisco VPN Clients (v3.6.3)

I have 5 linksys BEFVP41 connected, 10 clients and 1 remote site.

Works like a charm

c.pangkerego Thu, 02/20/2003 - 13:47
User Badges:

Which firmware that you used for the BEFVP41? I'm using the latest firmware 1.40.4 and after about 30 minutes and so, the tunnel crashed and the internet was out also. I have to cold reset the linksys and disable the tunnel to make everything back to normal again.

Does this ever happen to you?

Please let me know if you have the trick to fix this.

I'm running VPN Tunnel between BEFVP41 & PIX 506.

Thanks.

rod.caglia@elec... Thu, 02/20/2003 - 22:32
User Badges:

Sadly to say I also had this problem with the Linksys. Everyone that has requested my setup through email I have warned them about this behaviour.

My solution was to use Netopia R910 for "budget" remote sites. The Pix 501 would also be a great choice!

mishapat Fri, 05/02/2003 - 20:09
User Badges:

Can you please post the config you are using on the Pix and the Linksys into this message thread?

Thanks

stownsend Mon, 01/13/2003 - 11:57
User Badges:

I's like to copy too... I had a TAC Case open and they could not get it to work. One Engineer said its not an option with the PIX.

Thanks,

scott@serra.com

jasobrown Tue, 01/14/2003 - 08:20
User Badges:

Well Rod as I spent all day yesterday beating my head over a Linksys to 3000 with no success (works fine with the linksys terminating on a Netscreen??), can you send me a copy of the configs too. Would be much appreciated as I "thought" that I tried all possible configurations.

Also if you all would like a good laugh checkout the sample to IOS that Linksys has on there site....

http://kb.linksys.com/cgi-bin/om_isapi.dll?clientID=246782&QuestionText=befvp41%20cisco&SelectName1=&advquery=%5bs%5d%5bRank%2c%2050%3a%5bSum%3a%20befvp41%20cisco%5d%5bMerge%3a%20%5bThesaurus%3a%20befvp41%20cisco%5d%5d%5d&infobase=linksysrev.nfo&record={425}&softpage=IKW_ENU_JDocView

Pay special attention to the IOS transform sets ;)

Regards,

Jason Brown

CCIE #10833

jason@ignw.com

Merlin Mott Fri, 01/24/2003 - 08:13
User Badges:

Hi Rod,

I read you posting, good job. Would you mind forwarding the two configurations to me? I am also attempting to do a setup of simillar

nature with a PIX515 and Linksys.

Cheers,

Merlin Mott

mmott@quecom.ca

mcse@technetent... Fri, 03/07/2003 - 06:22
User Badges:

We are too using a PIX 515E & Lynksys BEFSX41 in this type of VPN configuration. However, we have been unable to get it to work. Would you please send me a copy of the configurations. Thanks!

csmith@pharmali... Tue, 03/11/2003 - 11:39
User Badges:

I would be very interested in finding out how you got this to work... i have tried everything i can think of. Add me to the list of the frustrated.

jsalsbury Mon, 04/21/2003 - 18:27
User Badges:

I am very interested in this information. I have purchased a linksys BEFSX41 and have a cisco 506e pix. I don't have any problems with the cisco vpn client but have yet to be able to get the vpn tunnel set up at all with my linksys. Any and all help would be very appriciated. Thank you.

bfs00 Wed, 05/07/2003 - 09:50
User Badges:

Rod,

Could you send me your setup too. One of my friend is trying to get the same setup to work. Your help is much appreciated.

brians@sbcglobal.net Wed, 06/18/2003 - 07:34
User Badges:

I'm coming into this discussion a little late, but have inherited a Pix/Linksys environment and wish to create an IPSec tunnel between the two. Could you send me the configuration as offered?

Thanks,

Brian

aaron@ednetics.com Thu, 07/03/2003 - 23:27
User Badges:

Got configs? I am coming in a little late as well. I have emailed Rod about configs (just now), but if anyone else has already received them, I wouldn't mind getting a couple of duplicates if Rod ends up being busy or not checking the forum. I have had a lot of headaches with this, the Linksys constantly freezes up when you try to create a tunnel, making it much harder to test different settings. Also I briefly had a connection at one point that could never be duplicated again. Very strange and frustrating. The PIX actually shows the tunnel when "sh isakmp sa"ing, but it looks like Phase 2 of the handshake never completes, the PIX debug keeps showing it trying until it times out (one reason could be that at this point in the process the Linksys is frozen..and eventually reboots, taking its logs with it). Anyway, any help would be very much appreciated!

aaron@ednetics.com Fri, 07/04/2003 - 10:35
User Badges:

I got them. Rod was kind enough to send them along, but noted (as he did earlier here) that there are still issues with this kind of setup, and that the Netopia works better. I will post to after I give it another try.

Anonymous (not verified) Tue, 09/09/2003 - 18:07
User Badges:

Aaron:

I saw this posting... i know it's old.. but.. did you fix the problem?? I am having more or less the same problem... I have a PIX 515 and several Linksys VPN routers that suddenly stopped working.. and they reach one point of the handshake and then hang.... if you got the solution... could you send me the configuration scripts??

thank a lot... I appreciate any help!

Luis Heredia

m.milano Thu, 02/12/2004 - 04:50
User Badges:

Luis. I am trying to configure a Pix vs a Linksys BEFSX41 and I have the same problem. Did you get a solution? If you did, could you send me the configuration scripts, please.

Thank you very much, I appreciate any help!

m.milano Wed, 02/11/2004 - 13:41
User Badges:

Hi. My name is Marcelo. I work in Argentina. I have the problem you explained. Did you resolve it? Could you help me, please.

Thanks!

dxyoun Fri, 08/22/2003 - 09:16
User Badges:

Please Rod could you send me your configs.

I like you have been trying this for 12 hours with no success.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

DY.

jdujardin@gen-n... Sat, 08/23/2003 - 10:34
User Badges:

Rod,

I hate to ask also, but is could you send me your configs too? Thanks in advance.

Jeremy

marh Tue, 09/16/2003 - 22:14
User Badges:

Hello!

I'm trying to make VPN, but linksys always freezes after 1. phase. Can you please send me configuration of pix (linksys).

Thanks

lheredia@qualit... Fri, 11/14/2003 - 10:09
User Badges:

Hi!:

were you able to solve the problem?? I am having the same issue... could you send me your configs if possible?

Thanks a lot!

Luis

plemieux72 Mon, 10/27/2003 - 19:37
User Badges:

Me too please... Working on same thing. Thanks! :)

pupang Fri, 11/07/2003 - 10:00
User Badges:

Please add me to the long list of folks who would also like to know how to get this running!

Please e-mail me your configs!

Thanks

Robert Beveridge

beveridr@genco.com

m.milano Wed, 02/11/2004 - 13:50
User Badges:

Rod. My name is Marcelo. If you still have this configuration I will apreciate you send them to me.

My email is m.milano@grader.com.ar

Thak you very much!

dustinbeaudry Mon, 03/29/2004 - 14:37
User Badges:

Could you possibly send your config to me as i have not been able to get the linksys to connect to our Pix 515. Frustrating to say the least! Thanks so much in advance.

db@pegasusinvestors.com

m.milano Tue, 03/30/2004 - 05:01
User Badges:

Dustin. I was not able to get the linksys BEFSX41 to connect ti Pix 515. The problem is that when I tried to make the tunnel, the Linksys went down. I was talking with Cisco TAC and Linksys TAC. The final answer from Linksys was that the Linksys BEFSX41 doesn´t work and I have to use BEFVP41. I made a test with this model and I have no problems.

Regards.

dustinbeaudry Tue, 03/30/2004 - 06:09
User Badges:

thats too bad - thanks though. I was hoping to add wireless to the mix. One question though - if i get the BEFVP41 will that work from a cable modem that doesnt have a static ip? Thanks again for you help. Much appreciated.

m.milano Tue, 03/30/2004 - 09:31
User Badges:

Dustin.

The BEFVP41 support static ip, pppoe or DHCP (to work from a cable modem).

Regards.

sakdavin Sun, 01/30/2005 - 20:25
User Badges:

Dear Rod,

I am going to implement pix firwall 515e and Linksys router with three branches as your case. could you email me the linksys and pix firewall 515e configuration. I think your solution would be every useful for me.My email address is vin@firstcambodia.com

Thanks in advances.

Sakdavin

sakdavin Sun, 01/30/2005 - 20:51
User Badges:

Hello Rod,

I am very interested in your information.And I do need your help, coz i am going to implement Pix firewall 515e and linksys as your above case.

So please kindly send me the configuration via my email address is vin@firstcambodia.com

You help is much appreciated.

Thanks in advances.

Sakdavin

sakdavin Sun, 01/30/2005 - 20:52
User Badges:

Hello Rod,

I am very interested in your information.And I do need your help, coz i am going to implement Pix firewall 515e and linksys as your above case.

So please kindly send me the configuration via my email address is vin@firstcambodia.com

You help is much appreciated.

Thanks in advances.

Sakdavin

p.parra Wed, 02/02/2005 - 14:50
User Badges:

Hi Rod,

Could you send me the configuration for the Pix and Linksys, please?

Thanks in advanced.

rockhoro Fri, 01/10/2003 - 13:12
User Badges:

Rod,

I would appreciate you sending my the document also! Would be a great help as I am working on a total re-design of a system that is not set up correctly. Trying to come in and "clean up" is a hard thing!

Thanks - Ray Rockholt

tpcolson@nexuss... Sun, 02/09/2003 - 13:34
User Badges:

yes...how does one gain membership into the secret squirrel society and view these sample configs? ;)

ghartze@mohs.org Mon, 02/17/2003 - 17:58
User Badges:

I'm also trying the same thing to a Linksys BEFSX41 to PIX515 or VPN3000 Concentrator. Please forward configs as well...thanks :)

rmalally Fri, 02/21/2003 - 15:13
User Badges:

I am also working on this, could someone forward me the configs.

Thanks

jafranklin@powe... Mon, 03/31/2003 - 06:56
User Badges:

Rod could you send me a copy of your cfg. I just read your posting and that is something I am interested in trying out for some of our remote sites. Typically I have used cisco to cisco solutions, but would like to try a more cost effective route if possible. Thanks

Actions

This Discussion