Helpful
Replies

Linksys BEFSX41 VPN to Pix 515E

rod.caglia
Level 1
Level 1

I've been scouring forums and the cisco website to get this vpn going now for

about a week. Total newbie to vpn's :o

I have a 515E at my main site and a couple remotes with linksys befsx41 vpn routers on cable and dsl. The Pix has 3 interfaces, outside, dmz and inside.

I have succesfully setup the Pix for pptp and ipsec using the Cisco Vpn client and was able to access the internal network ok. Now I'm trying to get the linksys connected with no luck. Just to make sure I didn't have any overlapping configurations, I no'd all the vpn client setup to bring the Pix back to a clean config before trying to setup the ipsec site to site.

My main goal is to have the linksys routers initiate the connection and allow 3 or 4 users access over the tunnel to the main site.

Anyone who can guide me in the right direction without having to get my CCIE first I would appreciate it!

TIA

Rod

79 Replies 79

rod.caglia
Level 1
Level 1

Wow,

After 36 hours of no sleep and reading "IPSec User Guide for the Cisco Secure Pix Firewall Version 6.0" and trying numerous configurations I got it to work!

Anyone new to Pix and or VPN should read the above document through about 5 times and it all becomes clear.

If anyone wants to see how this setup works, email me or reply here and I will send the configuration for the Pix and Linksys.

Rod, I am about to do exactly what you have just done. I would be grateful if you could email me the pix and linksys config - especially the linksys.

Thanks in anticipation of your help.

Regards Pat Daniels

I'd love to help, please let me know what your email is ;-)

Rod

Hi pat,

I would appreciate if you share me your config too, ive trying to figure out how my linksys BEFV41 connects to pix 515 or concentrator but no luck..

thanks.

cym

I, too, am attempting to set up a BEFVP41 to a PIX. The BEFVP41 has a dynamic address, and we already have the PIX set up to accept connections using the Cisco VPN client. I'd appreciate any e-mailed help that the forum could offer me!

I've got the linksys BEFVP41 up and running with a PIX 501 and PIX 515

At the same time the 501 is connected to a Cisco IOS router as a site-to-site VPN tunnel and to Cisco VPN Clients (v3.6.3)

I have 5 linksys BEFVP41 connected, 10 clients and 1 remote site.

Works like a charm

Which firmware that you used for the BEFVP41? I'm using the latest firmware 1.40.4 and after about 30 minutes and so, the tunnel crashed and the internet was out also. I have to cold reset the linksys and disable the tunnel to make everything back to normal again.

Does this ever happen to you?

Please let me know if you have the trick to fix this.

I'm running VPN Tunnel between BEFVP41 & PIX 506.

Thanks.

Sadly to say I also had this problem with the Linksys. Everyone that has requested my setup through email I have warned them about this behaviour.

My solution was to use Netopia R910 for "budget" remote sites. The Pix 501 would also be a great choice!

Can you please post the config you are using on the Pix and the Linksys into this message thread?

Thanks

Rod:

I just mailed you on this. If you could send me the condfiguration you're using it would be greatly appreciated.

billb@centraldata1.com

I's like to copy too... I had a TAC Case open and they could not get it to work. One Engineer said its not an option with the PIX.

Thanks,

scott@serra.com

Well Rod as I spent all day yesterday beating my head over a Linksys to 3000 with no success (works fine with the linksys terminating on a Netscreen??), can you send me a copy of the configs too. Would be much appreciated as I "thought" that I tried all possible configurations.

Also if you all would like a good laugh checkout the sample to IOS that Linksys has on there site....

http://kb.linksys.com/cgi-bin/om_isapi.dll?clientID=246782&QuestionText=befvp41%20cisco&SelectName1=&advquery=%5bs%5d%5bRank%2c%2050%3a%5bSum%3a%20befvp41%20cisco%5d%5bMerge%3a%20%5bThesaurus%3a%20befvp41%20cisco%5d%5d%5d&infobase=linksysrev.nfo&reco...={425}&softpage=IKW_ENU_JDocView

Pay special attention to the IOS transform sets ;)

Regards,

Jason Brown

CCIE #10833

jason@ignw.com

Hi Rod,

I read you posting, good job. Would you mind forwarding the two configurations to me? I am also attempting to do a setup of simillar

nature with a PIX515 and Linksys.

Cheers,

Merlin Mott

mmott@quecom.ca

We are too using a PIX 515E & Lynksys BEFSX41 in this type of VPN configuration. However, we have been unable to get it to work. Would you please send me a copy of the configurations. Thanks!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: