cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Exchange Licensing versus UNITY UM License

5mgagnon
Level 1
Level 1

When We buy a UM client license, does this made us "legal" about the utilization of EXCHANGE ? Did we still need to buy CAL from Microsoft anyway ?

5 Replies 5

kechambe
Level 7
Level 7

Unity licensing only covers Unity accessing Exchange. If clients outside of Unity will be access Exchange you need to purchase the Microsoft licensing as if Unity didn't exist in your environment.

Keith

Ok,

So, in fact, this mean that the only difference (without taking care of the pricing) is that UM license add the hability to use VMO ?

I'm unable to find "specific" information on your web !

Thanks !

Martin

When you buy UM for Unity you get the right to have voice messages and email in the same mailbox. If you don't buy UM you can't legally do that. VMO is an additional change on top of UM.

Humm,

It's really confusing, since, we already paid for the Message store by buying UNITY ?, So, I expect that what we're paying is including the Exchange License ?

I mean, I just dont understand, since, we still need to pay for CAL license to MS directly, why the price gap between VM and UM license is so big ?

I mean, this gap is corresponding to the price of a Exchange CAL from MS .

I dont want to be boring you know, but, my god, if buying a UM don't give any enhanced feature compare to VM, and that we still to have to buy CAL from MS ? I mean, since you already paid for Exchange buy buying UNITY, and that the MS licensing is base principaly on buying CAL to increase user number ...

You are certain that no more feature are add by buying UM license ???

Martin

This is really very simple, actually.

If you get VM only licenses for Unity you are not legally allowed to get your voice mail messages from any desktop client (other than via the seperately licensed web based VMI). Period. You must access your voice mail (and possibly faxes) via the phone interface only.

If you want to get at your voice mail (and faxes possibly) via the desktop you need UM licenses. This includes VMO if you want it but even if you don't install VMO forms on your client machines, this license model holds.

That's it... it's really very straight forward stuff it's just not laid out in a terribly clear way in all the docs.

UM= desktop access to voice mail. VM = no desktop access to voice mail.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: