cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PIX Firewall Crashed after Inserting 3rd 1 port FE port

ittiadmin
Level 1
Level 1

We had 2 PIX firewall (525-UR) in Failover mode and recently i added third 1 Port NIC card on the Pix Firewalls(total of 8 ethernet ports 4port +1 port + 1port+1 inside and 1 outside) . As soon as I added the new NIC card on Firewall it crashed and second one became primary. After which secondary Firewall crashed and tried to switch over to Primary and it kept toggling untill i removed the cards from both Firewalls.

Now i have reverted back to my previous setting with (7 FE ports 4port+1port+1 inside and 1 outside) and FWs are working fine. Is their any known bugs or reason with 525 FW with 8 NIC ports working in Failover mode ?

Thanks,

1 Reply 1

steve.barlow
Level 7
Level 7

I believe that the 525 can only allow you to add two (for a total of eight) 10/100 Fast Ethernet ports. So you can only add 2 ethernet cards, of which if you want to use the full 8 ports would require two 4-port cards, of which only 6 ports will be active.

From Cisco: "The 525-UR adds the ability to statefully failover to a backup PIX firewall, includes an integrated VPN Accelerator Card (VAC), as well as support for an additional two (for a total of eight) 10/100 Fast Ethernet ports."

Hope it helps.

Steve

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card