cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Management IP question

alonzo-garza
Level 1
Level 1

I know that the default VLAN 1 is the true mgnt. vlan but if I don't want to use VLAN 1 can I just create, let's say VLAN 999 for the management domain? If I do this would I need to create a new IP scope for that specific VLAN??

5 Replies 5

Prashanth Krishnappa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You sure can create VLAN 999 and make it your management VLAN. Each VLAN normally is it's own subnet(unless you use secondary addresses on a router interface) and hence you'll need a separate IP subnet for your Management VLAN

sansingh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi..

You can do this. A thing to keep in mind is, if you are doing this on a 3550 or 2950 or any switch that is running Native IOS, make sure you shutdown interface vlan 1 first.

Yes, I do have 3550's running the IOS. Why must I shutdown the native VLAN 1 ?? Why can't I just leave it on my 3550's? Do you have some documentation for this.

When you are configuring a 2900 or 3500 serie switch you can do the following (apply your own ip address):

conf t

ip address xxxxx.xxxx.xxxx.xxxx xxxx.xxxx.xxxx.xxxx

int vlan 999

management <---- with this command your making it the management VLAN

no shut

^Z

WR

We are using this configuration when we are connecting a temporarily switch to the network, but don't want to use Trunking etc. Keep in mind that you can loose your connection because the other side of the link is in another VLAN.

On the 3550's you dont have to shut down the VLAN 1 interface. 3550s are layer 3 switches and can route between VLANs , hence you can have multiple VLAN interfaces up/up

If you have layer 2 switches such as 2900/3500XL/2950, you can have only one VLAN interface up/up. Since it's layer 2 switch, the VLAN interface is used only for management purpose. The following page should help

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/473/8.html#topic4

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: