cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IP address assignment

john.fleming
Level 4
Level 4

We are having a problem with Client machines all using the Cisco Wireless cards and the Cisco Aironet Client Utility. When a user who runs WEP on a Home network comes back into the office and switches onto our LEAP network they are not getting an IP address.

If you restart the card it will connect to the leap network and get an address, these are Windows XP machines and should automatically renew the address.

Does anyone have any input on this situation?

Thanks,

John Fleming

Sr. Network Engineer

Yellow Book USA

5 Replies 5

tepatel
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Create a two different profile. One using WEP, for home use and one using LEAP, for office use.

After that select "Auto Profile Selection" for each profile.

Note that you need to have saved uername and password in ACU while configuring LEAP to include profile with LEAP configured in "Auto Profile Selection"

with that the profiles will be auto selected depending on the association with AP at office and home.

Thanks for your input, we are already doing that. I am running ACU with auto profile selection and a stored username and password.

The problem is not switching between the 2 profiles that works fine, the problem is when it switches from WEP to LEAP it does not get an IP address.

We also have a WEP network in the office and even manually switching between WEP and LEAP it does not get an IP address. Going the other direction from LEAP to WEP there is no issue getting an IP address.

John

ADOT
Level 1
Level 1

I'm having a similar problem; although, it happens upon boot.

I've narrowed it down to the configure button on the adapter, in Windows, on the advanced tab there is an entry for Client Name. That is always populated with whatever I specify in the ACAT utility admin override section (for the LEAP profile). You can either choose computer name or user ID (one or the other).

In any case, when the computer comes up, I authenticate with LEAP but an address is not assigned (consistently get APIPA address). Once logged in, if I go into the advanaced tab and change the Client Name to none, the computer will automatically reauthenticate using LEAP, and then obtain a valid address lease.

under your leap config in ACU make sure that the include windows logon domain with userid and no network connection unless user is logged in are both checked

I know this is a silly question but I am assuming the two profiles have different SSID's. My problem is my WEP profile and LEAP profile have the same SSID, so the ACU get's confused sometimes on which profile to use. Now with version 5.05 and 6.00, profiles with the same SSID can NOT be included in the auto profile selection, so either you are using ACU 5.02 or 5.01 or they have different SSID's, also 6.00 doesn't require saved username and password to be included in auto profile selection, I am glad they changed that stipulation. In my situation, local authentication WEP is taking precedence of server authencation LEAP, my guess is because local authencation is quicker. To resolve my issue, as a store becomes LEAP, I am going to change the SSID on the AP so the two won't conflict. Hope this helps

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card