cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Extending a T1 over Frame

b.murphree
Level 1
Level 1

Is there a way to transparently extend a channelized or unchannelized T1 accross a 45Mbps Frame-Relay or ATM WAN link? Scenario: Two phone switches that can be connected by a T1 link, whether analog trunking or using other methods, and I have two 7204VXRs with T1 CSU's installed. PBX T1 to 7204CSU, then to the other 7204 (over the WAN), out its T1 CSU to the other PBX.

PBX ----(T1)----router------45Mbps WAN link pvc-----router----(T1)-----PBX

Rather than order a T1 from Nashville to Dallas (for obvious reasons), I'd rather extend this over Frame. Possible? If so, is there a link to configure it?

Thanks!

1 Reply 1

mchin345
Level 6
Level 6

What you are looking for is a Multiplexor based solution. With the routers in place, I do not think you can tunnel T1 transparently.

However there is another solution to your problem with out going for a new T1 line.

What you can do is, you can terminate your TDM voice Call leg on the Routesr at both the ends and create a VoIP call leg between the Routers to tunnel the Voice calls.

All that you may need is some simple configuration on the routers at both ends.

The configuration will look something like this.

R1

dial-peer voice 1 pots

incoming-called number

destination-pattern

direct-inward-dial

prefix

port

dial-peer voice 2 voip

destination-pattern

incoming-called number

session target ipv4:

R2

dial-peer voice 2 voip

incoming-called number

destination-pattern

session target ipv4:

dial-peer voice 1 pots

destination-pattern

prefix

incoming called-number

direct-inward-dial

port

Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: