cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco wireless security

tcggg0
Level 1
Level 1

I have a RADIUS sever with Cisco Secure ACS 3.1 and I am trying to setup non-Cisco clients to talk to the server for authentication. Basically they are built in wireless IBM client cards (Prism) using NIC firmware 1.03.03.00. These cards support 128 bit WEP but I would like them to use the Cisco Secure authorization process ie: LEAP. Is this possible?

7 Replies 7

derwin
Level 5
Level 5

LEAP is only possible with Cisco Client cards and Apple Airport cards

EAP is possible with most vendors client cards given that you have an OS that supports it.

You may need to find out more information on who's wireless card is in your IBM laptops. Prism is a chipset for WLAN cards.

Many IBM laptops have Cisco client cards as the OEM card. The T30 that I am working on now for example has a Cisco card built in. You can not assume that all IBM's have Cisco cards but some models do so please check it out you maybe able to run LEAP

Will Cisco extend LEAP capability to non Cisco cards in the future? I am able to get all my laptops with Cisco cards working fine with LEAP and freeradius, but I have some new Dell laptops with built-in wireless nics that I would like to take advantage of

Good luck!

I seems that all I read in the forum about dell wifi cards especially the Truemobile 1400 (a/b/g) with the latest driver (R63259.EXE) does not work with LEAP. The default Intel card (802.11b) works well as long as you have the update drivers. I think we are still in the bleeding edge of CCX adoption. Wait a little while to see updates since even if you go to the web pages it is finger pointing time.

I would expect Dell to release an updated driver for their TM1300 and TM1400 in next couple of weeks. This is suppose to fix numerous LEAP issues, and fully support CCX compliancy

There is a new driver just posted on the Dell support web site and available for download. I will try this tomorrow and see how it works in our environment.

Craig Norborg
Level 4
Level 4

Actually there are "non-cisco" LEAP clients available. Some "CCX" cards are shipping with LEAP, although I do not like having to store my password in them. Also the "Steel-Belted Radius" guys have a client that I believe does LEAP (Oddessy - sp?). That and Meetinghouse has a client they call AEGIS that does LEAP. Didn't have much luck with the Meetinghouse one myself though, but I was trying some pretty old cards that might not be able to do it at all. I believe they have a list of cards that have been tested.

The Atheros Client will also do LEAP on the new HP 6000 laptop with integrated wireless.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: