cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

dynamic vlans on member switches

dnsmicro
Level 1
Level 1

I have a cluster of Catalyst 2924-XL/2950-24s connected to a Catalyst 5505. I've created the vmps database and loaded it to a tftp server and enabled vmps on the 5505. I've also configured the vmps server on the Command switch and have verified it with the "show vmps" command. I can set ports on the Command switch to dynamic vlan using the command "switchport access vlan dynamic". When I try to set ports on a member switch using the same command, I don't have an option for "dynamic". The only option on the member switch is a vlan number (static access).

Any help/comments would be appreciated.

2 Replies 2

beth-martin
Level 5
Level 5

I would only suspect only the Vmps database file. Ensure that you have configured the IP addresses of the clients properly and they are reachable.

Following troubleshooting document also talks about various caveats. Please check http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk689/technologies_troubleshooting_procedures09186a00800c4545.shtml#subtopic1F

Problem solved - my command switch (2924C-XL) running IOS 12.0(5.1) has no problem with dynamic vlan configuration. The member switch (2950-24) running IOS 12.0(5.3) does not support dynamic vlan. I have to upgrade to IOS 12.1 to get that functionality on the 2950-24. At least that's the expanation I got from the Cisco TAC engineer.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: