Warning message

• Cisco Support Forums is in Read Only mode while the site is being migrated.
  • Cisco Support Forums is in Read Only mode while the site is being migrated.

350 series card -> roaming under DOS

Unanswered Question
Jan 30th, 2003
User Badges:

I have a mobile terminal running DOS using the drivers for an integrated 350 series PCMCIA card. Device will connect ok and will run normally - but occasionally will just drop the network connection. This is especially true when the device has been sitting for a while (say 5-10 minutes) and enters power saving mode shutdown. In this case there is no "out of range" notification, instead, the telnet session just hangs.

There is also a problem with one of the access points - one occasionally refuses to associate new clients - like my Windows XP laptop, for example. This continues until I reboot the access point.

In the warehouse there are two 350 series access points - which (until recently) were configured on the same channel ! They have different versions of firmware - one is 11.21, which appears to be the one working best of the two, while the other is 12.00T.

Would the latest firmware in both access points help this ? If so, why?

Are any of you using the DOS drivers? Any pointers?

Thanks for your help.

Regards

Timothy Muir

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
beth-martin Thu, 02/06/2003 - 08:05
User Badges:
  • Bronze, 100 points or more

Timothy,

Check where your power source is for your Laptop Power Saving Protocol (PSP) allows computers (usually portable computers) to power up only part of the time to conserve energy. If a client node is using the Power Saving Protocol to communicate with the network, the access point must be aware of this mode and implement additional features such as message store and forward. If the client node is powered from an AC line, do not use PSP.

For more details check out the following URL

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps4555/products_installation_and_configuration_guide_chapter09186a008009e164.html

Hope this helps!

Actions

This Discussion