Warning message

• Cisco Support Forums is in Read Only mode while the site is being migrated.
  • Cisco Support Forums is in Read Only mode while the site is being migrated.

2501 routers and DSL modem

Answered Question
Feb 14th, 2003
User Badges:

I have a DSL router (Westell 517 with webshare) plug into a hub . Off that hub I have 2501 (Router1) plugged in via the one Ethernet port of the router. Off the router1, I have another 2501 (Router2) connected via serial0. Off the Same hub I have a PC plugged as well.

All the Ethernet interfaces on the hub are on the same subnet and can ping each other no problem

Now here is the problem:

Router1 can ping the Ethernet interface of the DSL router with no problem

Router2 Can ping the Ethernet interface of router2 with no problem, but Router2 cannot ping the DSL router Ethernet interface!

I put a gateway of last resort on Router1 pointing to the DSL router Ethernet interface, still no good.

I tried static routing, RIP, EIGRP, IGRP without success.

On router2, I can see that the DSL network is reachable via Router1 but I cannot access it from Router2 using the sho ip route command line.

Any idea why router1 can ping the dsl modem Ethernet interface, but not router2?

Thanks for any explanations

Correct Answer by donewald about 14 years 6 months ago

Sounds like your DSL router does not have a route back to Router2. Try an extended ping from Router1 (sourcing from your S0 interface). If this fails as well then it's most likely a route issue with the Westel router not knowing how to get to those other internal networks.

Hope this helps,

Don

Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
Correct Answer
donewald Sat, 02/15/2003 - 07:13
User Badges:
  • Silver, 250 points or more

Sounds like your DSL router does not have a route back to Router2. Try an extended ping from Router1 (sourcing from your S0 interface). If this fails as well then it's most likely a route issue with the Westel router not knowing how to get to those other internal networks.

Hope this helps,

Don

Actions

This Discussion