Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN always disconnects when user logs off

mevdokimov
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I would like to use the Cisco VPN client feature of keeping an established VPN alive even when the user logs off. In the Cisco VPN client you can enable this by unchecking the 'terminate VPN when logging off' checkbox. However when a client logs off the computer the VPN is terminated. I have updated to the latest Client release but this problem still happens.

Anybody know how to get this feature to work??

Regards,

Michael

Network Design

QPS

2 Replies 2

awaheed
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Michael,

The Checkbox was introduced to make sure that the VPN disconnect was sent to the Concentrator when a user rebooted or shutdown the machine without disconnecting his VPN. Previously if a user would shutdown the PC without disconnecting the VPN the concentrator would not show the user as being disconnected properly. There is currently no way of having a VPN up when the machine is being logged off or rebooted.

Sorry for the documentation to be unclear about this,

Hope this helps,

Thanks,

Aamir

-=-=-

Aamir,

I came across this document on the Cisco site (http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/vpn/client/3_6/admin_gd/vcach2.htm) which states that: DialerDisconnect Determines whether to automatically disconnect upon logging off a Windows NT platform (Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000 and Windows XP). Disabling this parameter lets the VPN connection remain when the user logs off, allowing that user to log back in without having to establish another connection.

It wasn't working for me becuase the Microsoft Dial-up connection was being terminated during logoff.

There are limitations to DialerDisconnect. For example, in the case of MS DUN, the RAS (PPP) connection might go down when the user logs off. For more information about this specific case, see the following URL:

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q158/9/09.asp?LN=EN-US&SD=gn&FR=0&qry=RAS%20AND%20LOGO

FF&rnk=2&src=DHCS_MSPSS_gn_SRCH&SPR=NTW40

All I had to do was put in a registry key that enabled the dial-up connection to stay open and then the VPN also stays connected.

Regards,

Michael

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: