cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VOIP with Cisco uBR900 Cable Modem Router

cyberlinx2000
Level 1
Level 1

Quick question. I am new to VOIP. I just setup my modem/router and I've noticed it has VOIP capabilities. Now, when I plug my phone into the VOIP port. I get a ring tone. But when I dial a number, right away I get a busy signal. I am guessing that since I get a ring tone from my phone that my ISP is configured for VOIP. Am I right? Or is this telling me that my ISP does not have me configured for VOIP or they don't support it at all?

3 Replies 3

cyberlinx2000
Level 1
Level 1

Sorry, wrong forum....

h.thorne
Level 1
Level 1

The ubr924 has FXS ports (Foreign eXchange Station) so it expects to talk to something that has a dial pad, like a standard $10 phone from Walmart. As soon as you dial, the UBR will look internally to see if it is configured to process the digits it received. SInce you have not set up dial peers (the text algorithm telling it what to do with dial strings) the machine is telling you immediately that it cannot work with the digits so you get reorder tone.

Go to CCO and do a search for "dial peers" or "pots dial peers"

Good luck.

tepatel
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If your ISP dosen't block the udp ports for RTP voice stream, it will work. But you also need another VoIP router to terminate that VOIP stream from UBR. You also need to configure UBR modem for VOIP. Here is the link which discuss all that

http://www.cisco.com/warp/customer/109/cm_voice_static.html