cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Problem in using Call transfer

ooiay
Level 1
Level 1

My call transfer of Unity doesn't work AT ALL. I would like to explain on my scenario, could anyone of you try to solve this for me?

The scenario:

Testing Purpose: I would like any caller (89xx) who dial to ext 8900 able to be transferred to 8981.

Identity: 8900 & 8981 are both Unity subscribers while the callers are not.

Setting: Call transfer of (subscriber with ext) 8900 is set to ring at ext 8981, the transfer type: supervise transfer(wait for 3 rings). No call transfer setting for 8981. The partition and CSS setting for 8900,8981 and voice mail port are all the same.

Out test result, 89xx dials 8900, 8900 keeps on ringing and finally go to Unity voice mail system. Call transfer didn't take place at all.

Pls help me with this.Thank you.

5 Replies 5

oliviers
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

For the testing purpose listed, "I would like any caller (89xx) who dial to ext 8900 able to be transferred to 8981.", do you want that to happen when a caller is inside Unity or outside Unity?

If a phone goes off hook and dials the DN of another phone directly (the caller never was in Unity), that functionality is call fowarding and is controlled by CCM, not Unity.

The test result makes it sound like the caller just goes off-hook and dials the DN of another phone. If that's correct, Unity has no control of that functionality.

Thanks for your reply.

At first, can I know what do you mean by 'inside Unity' and 'outside Unity'? I actually expect the 'Call transfer' of Unity is able to do this. If this is not the case, then, what's the purpose of having call transfer in Unity? Can I have a correct scenario on using this Unity Call transfer?

Thanks.

Sure, by "inside Unity", I mean some one has placed a phone call and some how the call has been forwarded to Unity. Unity answers the call and says soemthing like, "if you know your party's extension, enter it now". The caller dials some sequence of digits and based on those digits, Unity does something (like normally, transfer the call somewhere). That scenario is what a Unity transfer is for: if a caller is "inside Unity" and they dial digits that match a Unity subscriber's DTMF ID, does Unity transfer? And if so, where?

By "outside of Unity" I mean a call is placed not to Unity but to another phone. If this phone does not answer, is busy or whatever, where does that call go? That is not a Unity transfer, that's a CCM forward.

Thanks for your reply again.

May I asked more....

Do you mean in order to use the Unity call transfer, the caller must dial to Unity (assuming the voice mail pilot number is 8282) and then the Unity asks for entering the 'party's extension' and finally the call will be diverted according to what is set inside the 'Call transfer'? If it is, then meaning that my earlier concept of 'caller(89xx) call to 8900 and then transferred to ext 8981' was wrong, right? Caller cannot directly dial to 8900 but to 8282, right? However, I feel odd with this as how do callers know when they need to dial into Unity? In logical sense(at least my part), caller should always dial to the ext they want to....

At last, could you point me to any support docs for call transfer....(other than Unity troubleshooting guide, I have that), pls.......

Thanks

"Do you mean in order to use the Unity call transfer, the caller must dial to Unity (assuming the voice mail pilot number is 8282) and then the Unity asks for entering the 'party's extension' and finally the call will be diverted according to what is set inside the 'Call transfer'? "

That is exaclty correct.

"If it is, then meaning that my earlier concept of 'caller(89xx) call to 8900 and then transferred to ext 8981' was wrong, right? "

Yeah, I think that was wrong. I think what you mean is fowarded to ext 8981.

"Caller cannot directly dial to 8900 but to 8282, right? "

Sure they can.

It seems to me that what you want to do (designate a location to forward a call when a call is placed to en extension, and that extension is busy, or does not answer) is forwarding. That's a CCM setting.

Let's try it like this: so if phone A (extension 89xx) calls phone B (extension 8900), what do you want to happen?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: