Views
Helpful
Replies

Performance check on Cisco Router and Switch

aessome
Level 1
Level 1

Hello guys,

we are trying to check the performance on our 34Mbit telco connection. my questions is: wich command i should use to check this on a cisco 3640 , 2620 and cat 2548xl ?

Thanks for any help

A.E

9 Replies 9

donewald
Level 6
Level 6

A.E.

on your 3640 and 2620 you can issue a "show interface " and it will show you a utilization (out of 255 not 100) that you can get a percent utilization on. This is not very helpful for trending. Most use a freeware product called MRTG to graph utilization of the ports on your network devices. Good stuff.

Heres a URL for MRTG if your interested

http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/mrtg/

Hope this helps you,

Don

jjamwant
Level 1
Level 1

Can I have some help please. Can I configure a 3640 series router to be used for a fibre optic feed. The router is now being just as a gateway router on our T1 network

Can you please provide more information to what you mean "used for a fiber optic feed". Are you asking if the 3640 can have optical interface (OCx, 100BaseFX, etc??) Please be more specific and include more information with what you are attempting to do with your 3640 and what mdeia types are required and I am sure someone here can help you.

Regards,

Don

Don,

Sorry, I am trying to configure a 3640 router as my internet router for a new internet line I purchased. The new internet line is a fibre optic that terminates in my data center as a RJ45 cable. Cogent, the provider, have a switch in the basement of my building that feeds various customers in the building.

The 3640 was previously used in a T1 environment as a gateway to the internet. My question is can this router be configured for this new line and will there be need for additional modules?

Appreciate your help.

Jay

Jay,

That will be entirely dependant on what interface your provider is offering you. There may well be a router your provider has put into your building and will offer you Ethernet connection to. Please find out what interface they are offering you, and send a show diag of your router, and I or someone else will be able to tell if you have the correct HW for this new connection type.

Thank you,

Don

The service provider told us that there is a Cisco switch in the basement that provides an Ethernet Interface to all customers. In fact, I am currently connecting that interface to a basic hub and can conncect to the internet. I can send the 3640 config to you no problem. Is there someway I can attach it or just cut and paste?

Jay,

If you are currently connected to the internet service provider via an Ethernet connection then I don't see what the issue is. Don't you already have the conenction you require to get to the internet? What exactly are you trying to accomplish here? Guess I am a bit lost on what your requirements are or what you are requesting of this forum. Can you explain better?

Thank you,

Don

Don,

I presently have internet connection to my LAN via a T1 connection where a 2501 router is the internet router in front of a PIX firewall. A 3640 router is setup as the gateway for the internal network behind the PIX. I have just secured a fibre optic line that will eventually replace the T1. However, I want to pull the 3640 and make that the internet router for the fibre line and eventually integrate that with the rest of the infrastructure and get rid of the T1 line. I am trying to figure if this can be done with the 3640. In fact, what I need help on is how to confiure the interface that the fibre line will be connected to. Even though the fibre interface is Ethernet, will it need special config because it is a fibre line? Can you please help me with this.

Regards,

Jay

Jay,

Depending on what the provider end fiber is will tell you if you can support this. Since I still don't have a "show diag" from your router I have no information on what you can support. Fiber Based Ethernet can come in many flavors (e.g. 10BaseT, 100BaseFx, 1000BaseSX) and the connectors come in many kinds (st, sc, mtrj). You might need a simple transciever to make this connection work... ?????????? So with the information you've provided, both from your router and your provider, I can not help you with your support question. Also with regards to using your 3640 as your internet router, if you plan to move the pix infront of this router, as it is in front of your 2501 currently you might be wanting to terminate your providers Ethernet connection directly on your PIX. Still don't understand what your trying to do nor have enough information to provide significance guidance.

Hope this gives you some direction,

Don

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco