cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is CatOS supported when using the WS-6816 gigabit interface card?

bassie_1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

we're implementing a new switched backbone using two Catalyst 6509's.

I was planning to let the switches run in hybrid mode, but it seems like the interfaces we're using are not supported by any CatOS version.

Can anyone inform me if the ws-6818 16-ports gigabit ethernet interface card is supported by any CatOS type, or do I have to run my switches in native IOS mode?

They don't appear in the Software Advisor, so....

Grtz

B

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Prashanth Krishnappa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The Distributed Forwarding Card (WS-F6K-DFC) and 16-port Gigabit Ethernet switching module (WS-X6816-GBIC) are not supported in systems running Catalyst software on the supervisor engine and Cisco IOS software only on the MSFC. These items are supported on systems running

Cisco IOS Release 12.1(8a)E or later on both the Supervisor Engine 2 and the MSFC2

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

a.manosca
Level 4
Level 4

The WS-X6816-GBIC module has the following installation restrictions:

The WS-X6816-GBIC cannot be installed in a Catalyst 6000 series switch.

The WS-X6816-GBIC requires a Supervisor Engine 2.

A Switch Fabric Module must be installed in the Catalyst 6500 series switch chassis when a WS-X6816-GBIC module is installed.

The WS-X6816-GBIC can be installed in slots 2 through 6 in the Catalyst 6506 switch.

The WS-X6816-GBIC can be installed in slots 2 through 9 in the Catalyst 6509 and Catalyst 6509-NEB switches.

The WS-X6816-GBIC can only be installed in slots 9 through 13 in the Catalyst 6513 switch; it cannot be installed in slots 2 through 8.

Thanks for your reply,

however we've placed the 6816 interface cards in slots 2 and 3, of a 6509, with Supervisor Engine II installed. Also we've got a SFM installed in slot 5, so that shouldn't be any problem.

grtz

B

Prashanth Krishnappa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The Distributed Forwarding Card (WS-F6K-DFC) and 16-port Gigabit Ethernet switching module (WS-X6816-GBIC) are not supported in systems running Catalyst software on the supervisor engine and Cisco IOS software only on the MSFC. These items are supported on systems running

Cisco IOS Release 12.1(8a)E or later on both the Supervisor Engine 2 and the MSFC2

Thanks for your reply!

I found this statement too this afternoon.

I'm not to happy about this, especially considering the fact that the software advisor states that the WS-6816 is compatible with CatOS 6.4(1) and we started making configuration files based on the hybrid configuration... :-(

Leaves us no choice I guess!

Grtz

B

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: