cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN using a 2621 router.

sonic
Level 1
Level 1

I am at a total loss here. I am trying to find information of configuring my 2621 router to support VPN's. For now I would just like to do VPN's with PPTP until I can fully understand IPSec and the other more secure VPN solutions out there.

What I need to know is if I need any special IOS version or add in modules to support what I am trying to accomplish. My IOS version is currently Version 12.0(2)XC2 with IP feature pack only. My network is set up as DSL modem connected to Fastethernet0/0 (public IP) and Fastethernet0/1 (private IP) connected to a Windows 2000 Small Business Server (private IP).

I have set up the SBS box to accept PPTP VPN's and it works fine from behind my router.

Does anyone know of any articles on how to do this or any good books I need to add to my collection. Or if someone feels so inclined, they can just spell out the commands to accomplish this. I am trying my best to learn how to do these things but I have so much on my plate, that it is hard to find the time to fully investigate all the options.

Any assistance would be great.

1 Reply 1

fmeetz
Level 4
Level 4

Generally, quiet a bit of information is grouped (and available) in the support pages. I learned of them recently and quiet by accident. Anyway, ithe PPTP support page is reachable by cisco.com > Technical Support > Technology Support > TCP/IP Switching & Tunneling > IP Tunneling > PPTP (Point to Point Tunnel Protocol). Look under 'Implementation and Configuration' for PPTP configuration examples. The IPSec support page is reachable by cisco.com > Technical Support > Technology Support > Security & VPN > IPSec (IP Security Protocol). This will really help you while you are in the process of learning about IPSec and later ehrn you deploy the same.