cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MRTG issue about Cisco router memory Utilization

ramonfre
Level 1
Level 1

I have a big doubt about what really involves the "Used Memory OID" 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.48.1.1.1.5.1 (Cisco Memory Pool Free), because when i try to monitor and graph this OID and the "Free Memory OID (1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.48.1.1.1.6.1)" in the MRTG, the sum of the both of those measures (Free and Used Memory) isn´t 100% of the maximum RAM capacity, and not even close to that (i mean, near 90-9x%).

I will be grafetul to anyone who can help me, because i had spend several days trying to fix, or at least understanding, that issue.

Is there another more specifical OID for measure the Used memory (I´m assuming that "Free Mem." is working well)?, or i have to do some kind of math expression in the MRTG config file that sum all the OIDs refering to all memories being utilized (i mean cache, buffers, etc.) until complete the complementary percentage of the Free Memory?

I hope this message was understandable, i know my english is a little poor.

Regards to everyone and special thanks to the ones who help me.

Ramon

1 Reply 1

drolemc
Level 6
Level 6

I had a look at the documentation recently and it does say somewhere that the sum of 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.48.1.1.1.5(ciscoMemoryPoolUsed) and 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.48.1.1.1.6 (ciscoMemoryPoolFree) should give you the total memory. If I'm not too wrong, MRTG is not supported by Cisco and that is the only possible reason that I can think of for this discrepency. However, there is another possible explanation. By using the suffix ".1" you are querying for a specific device only and not the entire memory. You might be comparing it against a value representing the total memory.

You can look up the latest OID values at http://www.cisco.com/public/sw-center/netmgmt/cmtk/mibs.shtml

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card