cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Connecting two routers via AUX and Console ports.....

adam.wilkins
Level 1
Level 1

Can I connect two routers together via the Console port of one and the Aux port of another? If so, how?

Thanks,

Adam Wilkins

8 Replies 8

adam.wilkins
Level 1
Level 1

By the way.......it has to connect AUX to CONSOLE. Not AUX to AUX or CONSOLE to CONSOLE....can it be done?

I guess you are trying to console from one router to another.

Yes its possible

Just use a rollover flat cable ( the blue or black flat cable that comes with cisco routers/switches). Use it to connect from aux of one router to console of other router.

On the router (aux), configure reverse-telnet configurations so that you can telnet into second router through the aux port.

Check this link out

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/793/access_dial/comm_server.html

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

The configuration on the URL you provided is for a router that has an async module installed in it. I was hoping for a config that would show the AUX port configuration for a router that is connected to another router's Console port via it's AUX port.

Again, it has to be Aux to Console. Nothing else works for me given my present situation and configuration....

Configurations are similar....

Ok do this...Give a "show line" and find the TTY number of aux port. Mostly it should be 1. A typical 2500 router would display show line output as,

Router#sh line

Tty Typ Tx/Rx A Modem Roty AccO AccI Uses Noise Overruns Int

* 0 CTY - - - - - 0 0 0/0 -

1 AUX 9600/9600 - - - - - 0 6 0/0 -

2 VTY - - - - - 0 0 0/0 -

3 VTY - - - - - 0 0 0/0 -

4 VTY - - - - - 0 0 0/0 -

5 VTY - - - - - 0 0 0/0 -

6 VTY - - - - - 0 0 0/0 -

Apply the following config on to the router from which u want to telnet.

int lo 0

ip add 1.1.1.1 255.255.255.255

line 1

transport input all

no exec

ip host r1 2001 1.1.1.1

Use "telnet r1" or "r1" to reverse telnet to second router.

Hope that helps!

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

line aux 0

transport input telnet

no exec

make sure that you have at least 1 interface that is up up on the router then do

telnet x.x.x.x line #

if you do a sh line as shown above it will give you the line # of the aux port.

the x.x.x.x represents the ip address of the interface that is up up on your router .

Also make sure that the console you are connecting to does NOT have no exec. applied

Thanks for all of your help. I got it working.

Thanks!

What type of cable did you use?

Hello,

basically, you need a rollover/null modem cable. This is a cable where all pins are reversed. So on one side you have pins 1,2,3,,5,6,7,8, and on the other side, the corresponding pins are 8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1. 

Depending on the router model you have, you might also need a DB-9 to RJ45 converter.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: