cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity 2.4.6 Message accidentally forwarded to EVERYONE

randerso
Level 1
Level 1

A user managed to forward a voice mail message to everyone (300 mailboxes) in the system. Any idea on how this was done and how to prevent it in the future?

4 Replies 4

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The only way this can be done is by addressing the message to a public distribution lists that contains everyone (i.e. the "all subscribers" distribution list).

Other than having folks be more careful about checking to be sure they've addressed the message properly you can prevent the usage of public distribution lists entirely I suppose... this can be done at the class of service level or you can do it globally on a per DL basis by not assigning voice names or extensions to distribution lists such that they can't be addressed over the phone.

Thanks for you help! I am not quite sure what is the best thing to do at this point. Should I remove everyone from the "all subscribers" Public Distribution List (I am afraid of breaking something else if I do this)? I had a look at the COS but couldn't figure out how to disable Public Distribution Lists. Thanks for helping a neophyte Unity admin!

No need to get rid of users in the all subscribers DL - it wouldn't break anything if you did that but it's unnecessary.

On the class of service page in the SA go to the "messages" page. There should be a checkbox there called "Subscribes can send messages to public distribution lists". You can uncheck it.

Before doing that I'd make _sure_ this is what you want to do - if other folks on the system are using public distribution lists it may be harsh to restrict everyone from using them simply because one person was careless...

Many thanks! This company doesn't use distribution lists so it is safe to restrict access.