Views
Helpful
Replies

LAN/WAN Monitoring

u3
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

i am new to cisco gear and networking in general. my boss has asked me to monitor the corporate network and report on utilization, traffic and deal with any faults. we have 60 servers, 1500+ clients, 7 3640 routers, 20 1721 and a few cisco switches although most are 3com. clients dial in over ISDN and PSTN as well as local access. the 3640's are in our main sites and 1721's are in small sites. routers are connected together using dedicated serial lines varying from 128k to 512k. SNMP is not enabled on any of the gear as far as i know, will i need it? can anyone recomend any packages and reading material to help me with this task.

Thanks

2 Replies 2

olorunloba
Level 5
Level 5

Yes, you would need SNMP. Try the likes of mrtg (for free software), or Cisco Works, Whatsup Gold, IPMonitor and Solarwinds for your monitoring software.

wodriscoll
Level 1
Level 1

yuo could also try SNMPC....it is a small cheep openview type program which runs on Wiint/2k

it is very handy for monitoring all types of devices from various differnet manafacturers ....

you will need to enable snmp if you want for EG bandwidth management...

and the status of int`s ....

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: