Warning message

• Cisco Support Forums is in Read Only mode while the site is being migrated.
  • Cisco Support Forums is in Read Only mode while the site is being migrated.

SNMP-Monitoring lines failures

Unanswered Question
Apr 24th, 2003
User Badges:
  • Bronze, 100 points or more

Hello,

In a frame relay WAN (star topology, RIP and all the remote sites in the same WAN network), which do you think is the best manner of monitoring lines failures?

Should we uses a polling solution (pinging periodically every remote)?

Is there any trap solution (based on the central router routing table or whatever)?

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
yosiz Sat, 04/26/2003 - 21:47
User Badges:

Hi manel,

if all the remote sites are connected to one central router via FR connections, (ppp connections) you can just capture FR link status change traps on the one central router,

this, of course depends on every remote site, has a dedicated fr dlci interface in the central router, i'm not sure about this solution if you have multi remote links connected to the same local dlci.

just enable frame-relay traps on the router, and set your nerwork monitor machine to listen for FR traps (1.3.6.1.2.1.10.32)

each trap should provide you with the following information :

frCircuitIfIndex

frCircuitDlci

frCircuitState

hope this will help.

jegrimm Tue, 04/29/2003 - 07:38
User Badges:

Hello,

Do you have ISDN backup on these systems? If there are no other means of reaching the remote sites, I would poll ICMP for reachability to the remote loopback.

If there is some failover capability I would poll SNMP for the remote loopback but look at the ifEntry table. I would also do that on the hub router. You can get alittle fancy but polling the ifXEntry.ifAlias and ifEntry.ifOperStatus to get the Cisco description of the interface that is down..

Jim

Actions

This Discussion