Views
Helpful
Replies

Problems with PEAP Authentication

andyhkw72
Level 1
Level 1

My setup is ACU5.05.01 on Win2K -> AP1200 -> ACS3.1 -> Novell NDS

I have installed both Cisco PEAP supplicant and Win2K PEAP supplicant. And I believes that I had overwrite the Win2K PEAP supplicant with Cisco PEAP supplicant as I installed Cisco PEAP supplicant last. So I think now I am using Cisco PEAP supplicant. By the way, how to tell which one am I using?

I manage to get my PEAP authenication working, and using Novell NDS as external database (Can get login). The problem I am facing is that when I enable connection to the wireless LAN on my client machine, the PEAP authenication box will appear and sometimes it does not. Why? Or when I purposely entered a wrong username or password, the PEAP authentication box will not appear again.

My 2nd question is that, why PEAP doesn't tell you your username or password is invalid or a box to say that authentication is unsuccessful (just like LEAP).

5 Replies 5

rsumpter
Level 1
Level 1

Just curious....Does the PEAP authentication happen before the windows login so that you can gain access to the network resources? In my case the PEAP authentication is occuring after the Windows login.

Thx.

It really doesn't matter whether it is before or after the windows login cos' you still can't gain access to the network without passing the PEAP authentication.

PEAP authentication is after the Windows Login, this is how it works, unless Cisco do something about it.

By the way, since you are also using PEAP, could you respond to my problems in my first message?......Thanks!

Surprisingly, nobody responded to my problems, I thought those using PEAP authentication will have the same encounter!....or do you?

usskenet
Level 1
Level 1

Please setup ACU 6.0 for Win2K. Your ACU 5.05 is CISCO PEAP for Win XP and it is not designed for Win 2K.

Is there a ACU version 6?.....I can't find it on the Cisco Website. I have a CCO account. Could you direct me to the download link?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card