cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Purchasing 3550

londint
Level 1
Level 1

I have a WAN link with SC and a PIX Firewall with its failover with the usual 2 Gigabit Ethernet ( x 4 GB Ethernet interface).

I want to order the 3550 series and thought of the 3550-48EMI as I also want L3 functionality.

If I order for only 1x3550-48, I only get 2 GBIC, which is not enough. I can add a 3550-12G.

But then the WAN comes in as a SC, which I can plug in straight into the 3550-12G. But the Firewall comes as Ethernet.

So my question is can I have a mixed order of 3550-48 with one interface as Ethernet and the order as SC and also do the same for the 3550-12G?

Thanks

5 Replies 5

j-block
Level 4
Level 4

I think the cisco configuration tool might help you to choose an appropriate module for you.

Thanks

This module has already been purchased. I need to know if I need to do anyhtning to disable th L3 function.

Thanks

If you would like to disable the L3 function on the Cisco 3550, install the SMI IOS code on the switch. This SMI code will ONLY perform L2 functions.

Hope this helps.

Not true. Even the SMI does L3, though only basic routing with statics and RIP.

-A

Asbjoern Hoejmark | CTO | CCIE #8525
Wingmen Solutions A/S | Gyngemose Parkvej 50, 1. | DK-2860 Søborg | Denmark
M: +4525162108 | E: ah@wingmen.dk | W: www.wingmen.dk

Just don't configure layer 3 switching.

Every port can be set as a switchport, making it a layer 2 device.

Simon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: