cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2620 only as a firewall

shinds36
Level 1
Level 1

Can I use my 2620 router soley as a firewall? If I have the PIX firewall software can I just load it in place of the CBOS? My brother-in-law wants another connection and needs another firewall. I have the 2620 and the PIX software, Can it be done or would it be more sensible to just buy a PIX box?

3 Replies 3

mhoda
Level 5
Level 5

Hi,

2620 router can be used to configure only CBAC. You cannot load the PIX OS on the router. Router only recognizes IOS OS not PIX OS. You will need a PIX to use PIX OS. I don't see why you can't use CBAC, unless this router is a GW router and you don't want to overburden with the CBAC on the perimeter router.

I hope this helps ! Thanks,

Mynul

OK then another question. I have a cable modem. Roadrunner. And I cant seem to get a straight answer from anyone. Can I connect my 2620 to my cable modem to use in a home network? If so, I cant seem to find a WIC that will accept the signal. I've seen T1, ADSL, ISDN...etc WIC's but nothing for just ethernet. Am I just stuck with a router that I cant use at home? Thanks again for the last post.

Hi,

I'm assuming from your question that the Roadrunner cable modem is giving you an Ethernet presentation. If you want to put your single on-board ethernet interface equipped C2620 between your home network and the cable modem, you'll have to invest in an ethernet network module (NM-1FE-TX). WICs (WAN Interface Cards) only deal with WAN connections.

Gareth

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: