Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Dialup into 3620 w/ 24pt MICA can't access MS WWW server with NLB

I have users dialing up into a 3620 with a 24 modem MICA board. They access one of the intranet WWW servers as part of their normal duties. The WWW site is actually homes on two servers with microsoft Network Load Balancing set up on the adapters. This is similar to how HSRP is configured.

The problem is that when a dialup user attempts to access the virtual address (through HTTP, Ping, etc), they don't get anything. However, accessing the physical IPs works fine. These users can access any other resource on the network fine as well. Users through our VPN and users on the local LAN don't have any issues with the WWW server whatsoever.

Any ideas on what the cause may be?

3 Replies 3

makchitale
Level 6
Level 6

On the 3620 do you a see a "ip route x.x.x.x" for the virtual address, ie, can we ping it from the 3620? From the 3620 try an extended ping to the virtual address with different source addresses on the 3620 (maybe the loopback0 if used for ip unnumbered under the interface group-async)

How are ip addresses assigned for the dialup users, locally or do they come in with a static ip address.

If these dialup users can reach else where w/o problems that means we have some routing issue here.

Thanks, Mak.

The only IP ROUTE that I have is to the def gateway. I will try the ping as you recommend to see what it comes back with.

The dialup users get their addresses from a pool of IPs that are on the local subnet.

I am assuming that your are using multicast for the NLB? If so on every Cisco device you have that needs access to the cluster, you will need to add a static ARP entry.

Go into the NLB manger and grab the cluster mac-address and on the cisco, do the following.

conf t# arp xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx.<----- mac-address (cluster IP address) arpa

This will take care of it for you.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: