Warning message

• Cisco Support Forums is in Read Only mode while the site is being migrated.
  • Cisco Support Forums is in Read Only mode while the site is being migrated.

Split Tunneling

Unanswered Question
Jun 19th, 2003
User Badges:

Hi

Can you please explain me whats this split tunneling...According to my understand u can hook to ur private network and at the same time browse the internet from house....Am not getting this...to establish a VPN session you have to connect to the Local service provider and then dial ur Firewall and connect to the corporate...wehn u are already connected to the local ISP y cant u browse the internet ??? please enlighten me on this

Regards

raj

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
travis-dennis_2 Thu, 06/19/2003 - 19:28
User Badges:
  • Gold, 750 points or more

Let's say you have 2 sites. Site A and Site B. Site B has a devce that site a does a VPN tunnel into. You can configure the VPN device at site b to do one of two things. If you want everything from site a going through the VPN tunnel to site b this is called "Tunnel Everything" Even when site A pulls a web page the request would go through the tunnel to site b and out of site b's default gateway. Split tunneling is where you allow the VPN tunnel from site a to site b but you can still get out to the Internet through the service at site a so this means your web pages are coming through site a and not site b. A lillte long winded but I hope this helps

Actions

This Discussion