SFM causing Catalyst 6513 to crash..

Unanswered Question
Jun 21st, 2003
User Badges:

Dear All,

I’m having a weird problem; in my Active LAN I’m having Switch Fabric Module [SFM] installed in the Catalyst 6513 Core Switch, the 1st time I found the problem was while doing my daily healthy check I found that the SFM as if it’s switched off, and after showing the results of the diagnostic tests for the SFM module I figured out that it was a hardware failure in the module I went through the RMA procedures and I got another SFM from my spare parts and I installed it again instead of the faulty one and early this morning and after almost 10 days from using the new SFM I found another problem the core switch was reloading every 1minute and all the modules installed on it are showing fatal error then the switch reset the modules to be in a disabled state.. So I unplugged the SFM and then every thing went back normal again.. Knowing that I’m having another 6513 catalyst core switch with the same modules installed in the same places with the same configurations with the same IOS image but till now there is no problem at all..

The Catalyst 6513 Switch has:

IOS image version 12.1(13)E4

Any Help..!!

Regards..

Tamer Bayomy

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
rsissons Sun, 06/22/2003 - 16:52
User Badges:
  • Bronze, 100 points or more

You could have a faulty slot rather than a faulty module. Can you try the SFM card in a different slot/switch.

xtam1 Mon, 06/23/2003 - 23:00
User Badges:

You are correct, but i already placed the SFM in another slot and it caused the same problem, and i have another SFM so i placed it SFM in the Switch and it works fine.. any help..

Regards..

Tamer Bayomy

xtam1 Wed, 06/25/2003 - 03:27
User Badges:

Dear All,

- I sent the TAC the crash info.

- Module diag info.

- Tech-supp.

And finally replied, after they check the crash info. they told me that it's a hardware failure in the SFM module..

Regards..

Tamer Bayomy

Actions

This Discussion