cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 2950's *Locking* Up... HELP!

PBroome51
Level 1
Level 1

I'm currently running 15 Catalyst 2950s (which are cascaded in groups of 3 from a 3550). At random intervals in the day, one or more of the 2950s (different one each time) is just *locking up* (lights go solid) - the problem can only be rectified by restarting the switch.

This is starting to get somewhat annoying... Does anybody have any idea of anything that could be causing this. (Configuration-wise, I suspect...)

(The switches are all set to basic configuration, the only things set on them are individual IP addresses, host names, default gateway and DHCP server address). *Any* suggestions gratefully received...

(sorry posted in wrong area, I know...)

4 Replies 4

knguyen00
Level 1
Level 1

Are you running VLAN? Have you checked which ports are down? You might want to reset the switches that are having the problem. I believed if you hold down the button while plugging the power back in, it will reset the router. From there you can set the IP address for VLAN1.

Hope this helps.

I mean if you plug in the switch (not router).

jawad1979
Level 1
Level 1

Could you please describe your physical network in a more specific way?

PBroome51
Level 1
Level 1

Many thanks for all the suggestions. It turns out the problem is being caused by a broadcast storm, emanating from a new *Dell laptop (D600) with a Broadcom Gigabit NIC* which a user has been testing on the network.

I should've guessed...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: