Warning message

• Cisco Support Forums is in Read Only mode while the site is being migrated.
  • Cisco Support Forums is in Read Only mode while the site is being migrated.

Vlan and gateways

Unanswered Question

Currently, all my computers are in one vlan pointing to my router for their default gateway (i.e. 172.16.0.1 /16) Correct me if I am wrong, but after I set up Vlans and assign ports to them, I will need to make sure that the default-gateway of the nodes within each vlan points to the vlan interfaces IP addresses (i.e. 172.16.1.1 /24, 172.16.2.1 /24 and so on). If so, in order for the computers to be able to reach their old default-gateway should I configured the distribution switch to have that gateway as its gateway of last resort?

I am using a 4500 switch fo my distribution switch and variety of 3com and Cisco switches for access switch.

Thanks for the help.

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
rjackson Mon, 07/21/2003 - 07:28
User Badges:
  • Bronze, 100 points or more

Once their mask says 24 bits only the people in 172.16.1.0/24 can reach the old gateway.

If you add the new gateway addresses as secondaries to the current vlan1 interface you can change everyones addresses/mask/ and gateway ahead of time. Then as you move each group from vlan1 remove the secondary address for that group and make it the gateway of their new vlan.

Actions

This Discussion