cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

HSRP Between Two 6509's with MSFC2

pbunchuk
Level 1
Level 1

What is the best practice for configuring HSRP between two 6509's each with dual Sups w/MSFC2's. This will be a Core expansion.

7 Replies 7

mjgoodman
Level 1
Level 1

I've got two 6509's and they act as the core in a collapsed core setup. I've got about 30 VLANs and I make some primary on one switch and some primary on the other to offset the load otherwise all routing traffic is handled by one MSFC on the one switch.

I have the 4 SUP's ethertrunked over their GIG connections to link them together (4gig full duplex). All of the Sup's GIG interfaces are active even though 2 of the SUP's sit in standby mode.

Hope this helps.

mike

to mjgoodman, Do you have all Vlans trunked across the EtherChannel?

Prashanth Krishnappa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I suggest that you run HSRP between the chassis and use Single router mode for MSFC redundancy within the chassis. This makes management/troubleshooting easier. The following page should help

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat6000/sw_6_3/confg_gd/redund.htm#1022918

cseymour-rhs
Level 1
Level 1

I have a similar setup and would like to bounce some ideas off of you. I have been scouring CCO for any tidbit of info that would answer my questions but cannot seem to get the detail that I want. If you dont mind talking you can email me at cseymour@rhsnet.org. Thanks.

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

Starting with Cat OS 5.3 (i believe)...Cisco supports features such as Highavailability and Redundancy. You can run the MSFCs in DRM (dual route r mode) or SRM (single router mode). In DRM, both MSFCs have diff configs, and they run HSRP between each other, which means, you will need separate IPs for the physical interfaces, plus a third IP for the virtual HSRP address.

In SRM, one MSFC will be active, and the second MSFC, syncs its configuration from the active MSFC. This MSFC will take over, when the active MSFC fails. SRM, is much easier and less complex to implement. Also SRM saves upon IP addresses.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

We elected to use DRM in our environment with the same configs. In the event that we encounter a nachi occurrence again or any production impact event we just shutdown the vlan affected on the primary router and quarantine it on the secondary router. Most of the Vlan on the primary would be isolated and we can do all non-production impact related analysis on affected vlan on the secondary router.

All of the vlan are in standby mode while the affected vlan will be in active mode in the secondary router.

abdulr
Level 1
Level 1

Cisco TACs recommendation is to configure the MSFCs in Single Router Mode and run HSRP between the two 6500 chassis. Even though HSRP will work between 4 routers in the HSRP group it was designed to work between two routers.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: