Has anyone setup any Firewall VPN devices to Time Warner Telecom

Unanswered Question
Jul 29th, 2003
User Badges:
  • Bronze, 100 points or more

Hello,

I am Working on setting up a netopia R9120-xl

Device to the customer new Time Warner Telecom service they use a Lucent ready connect device they

just connect a cat5 patch cable from it to the network switch then setup the workstation IP.

The Time Warner telecom tech said he could find no reason why the unit do not work, he said most of there clients use you Pix 500 series devices.

If I need to get them I will, but I must be sure

they will work .

Any help would be great Thanks Jeff Masters

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
jsivulka Mon, 08/04/2003 - 12:55
User Badges:
  • Bronze, 100 points or more

I know of people who have been using Time Warner Telecom's services since 1999 and I do not see why there might be problems with them supporting somehing as simple as firewalls or VPN's. As pointed out, many of their clients must be using these devices and services already.

These netopia devices are usually configured as routers with NAT and dhcp for the internal clients. With a pix behind it you do not want this device to do your firewalling. The netopia model I worked on allowed me to put the same ip address on the inside and outside interface and disable nat. This allows the same network on both sides of the device. You will need at least a block of 8 ip addresses (6 usable) from your isp. For example 192.168.0.1/29; isp router 192.168.0.1, netopia router 192.168.0.2, pix 192.168.0.3 with a default gateway of 192.168.0.1.

Actions

This Discussion