cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PIX Access List Deny Statement Issues

rjrii
Level 1
Level 1

I have an ip from the internet that I want to deny access to my network, however, I am having issues with my access-list statement. Below is what I am trying, but it is not stopping his access. Any help is appreciated

access-list acl_outside deny tcp host 216.17.156.110 any (hitcnt=0)

access-list acl_outside deny tcp host 216.17.156.110 host 216.183.97.151 eq www (hitcnt=0)

access-list acl-outside deny udp host 216.17.156.110 any (hitcnt=0)

access-list acl-outside deny tcp host 216.17.156.110 any (hitcnt=0)

access-list acl-outside deny tcp host 216.17.156.110 eq www host 216.183.97.151 (hitcnt=0)

access-list acl-outside deny ip host 216.17.156.110 host 216.183.97.151 (hitcnt=0)

Where 216.17.156.110 is the host I want to block from my entire network or specifically 216.183.97.151

Also curious what direction the PIX reads the access-list from bottom to top assuming since the bottom is where the deny statments are?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

gfullage
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The PIX reads the ACL from top to bottom, exiting out when it sees the first match. If you have a permit above these lines that permits access from "any" then these lines at the bottom will never be seen.

Your best bet is to cut/paste your current ACL into a text file, add the following line TO THE TOP of the list, then remove the ACL from your PIX and cut/paste your new one back in.

> access-list acl_outside deny ip host 216.17.156.110 any

To get rid of your current ACL just do:

> no access-list acl_outside

then as I said, cut/paste your new one back in. Also make sure of your access-list name, half the access-list you've shown us in your post is called "acl_outside" (note the underscore) and half of them are "acl-outside" (note the dash). Make sure you check what access-list name is applied to the outside interface and match it up correctly.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

gfullage
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The PIX reads the ACL from top to bottom, exiting out when it sees the first match. If you have a permit above these lines that permits access from "any" then these lines at the bottom will never be seen.

Your best bet is to cut/paste your current ACL into a text file, add the following line TO THE TOP of the list, then remove the ACL from your PIX and cut/paste your new one back in.

> access-list acl_outside deny ip host 216.17.156.110 any

To get rid of your current ACL just do:

> no access-list acl_outside

then as I said, cut/paste your new one back in. Also make sure of your access-list name, half the access-list you've shown us in your post is called "acl_outside" (note the underscore) and half of them are "acl-outside" (note the dash). Make sure you check what access-list name is applied to the outside interface and match it up correctly.

tvanginneken
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

did you apply the access-list to the outside interface? To do this, use the access-group command:

"access-group acl-outside in interface outside"

Kind Regards,

Tom

wolfrikk
Level 3
Level 3

If you want to deny all traffic from that host I would add the following command.

access-list acl_outside deny ip host 216.17.156.110 any

That will deny all IP traffic, not just tcp and upd.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card