Helpful
Replies

what is Native Module

chanut69
Level 1
Level 1

Hi~

"Integrated Cisco IOS (Native Mode)"

I would like to know how to check on the current core switch 4000 series and 6500 series whether there are using Native Mode or not.

Please help.

Thanks,

4 Replies 4

milan.kulik
Level 10
Level 10

Hi,

AFAIK, "native mode" means "Supervisor Module is running IOS" in Cisco terminology.

You can also run "hybrid mode" - Supervisor Module running CatOS and some module (RSM, e.g.) runs IOS.

Last possibility - all modules running CatOS.

To recognize if the Supervisor Module is running IOS or CatOS use "sh ver" command.

IOS output starts with:

"Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software"

line, the version number should be 10.x or higher.

CatOS output doesn't contain the "Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software" line, version number is 8 or less.

Also CatOS CLI is "set" oriented while with IOS you have to use "conf t" command to change the config.

Regards,

Milan

when I do 'sh ver' at the core router it show ...

6500>sh ver

Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software

IOS (tm) MSFC2 Software (C6MSFC2-PSV-M), Version 12.1(7)E, EARLY DEPLOYMENT RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

but when I do 'sh ver' at switch side it show ...

6500 sh ver

WS-C6506 Software, Version NmpSW: 6.3(1)

but now i'm quite sure the our coreswitch is not running native because of this document I just found.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_tech_note09186a00800a2cee.shtml

but I don't understand how to choose IOS. I heard that it has BOOT, PSV and CAT IOS. Does it mean that CAT is for catalyst (switch side) and BOOT & PSV is for router side.

please answer again.

thanks,

The Cisco Catalyst 6000 series can be a layer-2 or layer-3 switch (router). There are 3 elements to the Supervisor module (1A & 2) - there is the Switch Processor, the PFC (policy Feature Card) and the MSFC (Multilayer Switch Feature Card). When you run Hybrid Mode you run separate software on the Switch Processor (CatOS) and the MSFC (IOS), with Native Mode you run a single image that controls both bits of hardware - there is no separate configuration for both engines. The user interface is IOS but unlike Hybrid code where you create VLANs and assign ports to the VLANs you can configure each physical interface as a Routed Interface and configure an IP address on the physical port (interface gigabitethernet 1/1 etc). VLANs are obviously still a feature and you can assign physical ports to VLANs, but this is one feature you can't do with Hybrid Code.

There are pros and cons of both solutions but most people seem to sway towards Native Mode. Native mode is only available when you have the MSFC installed on the Supervisor.

Andy

(- " -b) confuse again .. because the core switch still able to do those kind of thing using 'set vlan' or 'set trunk' command.

today i found this ... it should answer all of my questions ^ ^!

Software Conversion from Hybrid to Integrated Cisco IOS (Native Mode) on a Catalyst 6000 Switch

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps700/products_tech_note09186a008015bfa6.shtml

thanks everybody for your kindly answer,

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: