ASK THE EXPERT- CONFIGURING AND TROUBLESHOOTING BBSM

Unanswered Question
Aug 15th, 2003
User Badges:
  • Gold, 750 points or more

Welcome to the Cisco Networking Professionals Ask the Expert conversation. This is an opportunity to discuss Configuring and Troubleshooting BBSM with Cisco expert Muhammad Asim Khan. Muhammad provides Technical Support, mainly, for BBSM and Cisco® Network Registrar, involving moderate to complex issues, besides other NMS Applications. He has reviewed and created several documents for Cisco relating to BBSM and CNR. Feel free to post any questions relating to Configuring and Troubleshooting BBSM. Remember to use the rating system to let Muhammad know if you’ve received an adequate response.

Muhammad might not be able to answer each question due to the volume expected during this event. Our moderators will post many of the unanswered questions in other discussion forums shortly after the event. This event lasts through August 29. Visit this forum often to view responses to your questions and the questions of other community members.

Overall Rating: 3 (4 ratings)
taktiks Mon, 08/18/2003 - 06:07
User Badges:

Perhaps off the beaten path and if so could you steer me towards someone who may be able to help?

I have built a sales call database entry program with

Access. It is designed to help the salesperson capture the

caller's info such as name, number, vehicle of interest,

source, etc. As it is now the receptionist transfers the

call to the salesperson's extension (or a designated sales

call station) and the salesperson must enter their password

to enter the program. Problem is there is no guarantee

that they'll log in and we will not have a record of the

call to list in our productivity reports. I wish to

connect the phone to the computer so that when the call is

transferred to the phone connected to the computer, the

only way the salesperson can answer the call is if they

enter their password. This would then allow them access to

the sales call. A CTI if you will. I would also like to

record the call. Any ideas?

muhakhan Mon, 08/18/2003 - 10:41
User Badges:

Hi Sir, unfortunately, this is not my area of expertise but I'll try to find out where we can route this question and get you the recommendations.

Take care.

Muhammad.

bbaley Tue, 08/19/2003 - 07:45
User Badges:

Why is BBSM system installed on a general purpose operating system like windows 2000 ?

muhakhan Tue, 08/19/2003 - 10:58
User Badges:

Hi there ! In order to answer your question, I need to give you little history about BBSM.

BBSM, as it existed now, used to known as IPORT, which was invented by a startup company called "ATCOM" in middle of 1990s, among the different companies who financed ATCOM was Microsoft, on top of financing Microsoft gave ATCOM huge incentive in Licensing and other costs.

Part of idea of developing product was that the product supports Plug & Play Architecture and back then Microsoft was the only Operating System supporting that.

ATCOM was bought by "CAIS" in 1999 and CAIS was then bought by Cisco in late 2000 and we named this product BBSM.

Now, there is a on-going discussion about supporting UNIX, LINUX as an operating system for BBSM but there is no roadmap as such but we can expect BBSM on UNIX/LINUX in near future.

Please don't hesitate to contact us if you have further questions.

Take care.

Muhammad.

l.roberts Wed, 08/20/2003 - 14:05
User Badges:

Muhammad,

Looking for a little guidance in a BBSM project I'm currently working on. The customer wants to deploy BBSM in a residential MDU setting mainly for bandwidth control, not for billing purposes. My conclusion is that access codes would be the best way to accomplish this. Also can we do access codes without asking for any type of billing? Can we setup monthly billing to a credit card and give the residents the option of going to the registration page and choosing a new plan to say upgrade their bandwidth?

Thanks,

Larry

muhakhan Wed, 08/20/2003 - 18:45
User Badges:

Hi Larry ! Access Codes could be one approach to your issue but I think Subscription would probably be the best way to approach this. It is just

a connect page that validates dates setup via port control and you have more control over it, please refer to following url for details :

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/products/sw/netmgtsw/ps533/products_user_guide_chapter09186a00800a478f.html#1051987

As far as using access code without asking for any type of billing is concerned, I think, this is not possible with the current setup of BBSM, if you put 0 dollar as an amount your customer may not be able to connect but you have to keep in mind that even if you enter price for Access Code, customer wouldn't be billed when he accesses Internet using Access Code, that data is save for audit purpose.

For type of Credit Card billing you want to use, you will have to use SDK, and if you have SDK support contract with Cisco, we can help on that as well, please refer to following url for more detail about SDK :

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/products/sw/netmgtsw/ps533/products_user_guide_book09186a008019e125.html

Please don't hesitate to contact us if you have further questions or concerns.

Take care.

Regards.

Muhammad.

Anonymous (not verified) Sat, 08/23/2003 - 04:06
User Badges:

i dont know

seilsz Thu, 08/21/2003 - 08:53
User Badges:
  • Bronze, 100 points or more

Muhammad,

I am just starting to support BBSM. I probably won't have any questions prior to the close of this topic. Are you available for correspondence via email?

muhakhan Thu, 08/21/2003 - 11:09
User Badges:

Hi Seilez ! I'll be glad to help you but the best way to get help is to open up a case with TAC and one of the available Engineer will help you right away.

In the mean time I can give you few urls which have been very helpful for customers :

Please refer to following url regarding BBSM FAQs :

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/aggr/bbsm/bbsm_q_a.pdf

Following url walks you through basic configuration for BBSM :

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/products/sw/netmgtsw/ps533/products_user_guide_chapter09186a008019228c.html#1038580

Make sure you load the patches on your BBSM server, you can download patches for BBSM 5.2 from following location :

http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/tablebuild.pl/bbsm52

Goodluck with your BBSM deployment.

Take care.

Regards.

Muhammad.

seilsz Tue, 08/26/2003 - 21:00
User Badges:

Muhammad,

I am currently having problems with some client receiving a CheckPage+failed message when logging in. How can I tell which package page to check for the strPageToCheck variable?

Thanks,

Zach

muhakhan Wed, 08/27/2003 - 11:04
User Badges:

Hi Zach ! BBSM stores a page set name per port, which allows a page in a page set to verify if an end user on a given port is allowed to view the page. This prevents an end user from manually navigating to a different page set than the

one configured for the port. Many of the provided pages implement this access control using the

CheckPage()method.

Not every page requires access control, so you do not have to call CheckPage from every page.

The "package" file for each page set (for example, DailyHotelPackage.asp), defines the strPageToCheck variable.

The value of this string must be the same as the name of the page set defined in the registry. The

string is not case sensitive, so "DailyHotel" is the same as "dailyhotel."

var strPageToCheck = "DailyHotel";

Many of the pages call the CheckPage() method to verify the user is allowed to view the requested

page. This allows you to prevent a user from viewing pages that do not belong to the page set configured for the user's port.

CheckPage Method

Parameters

strPageToCheck

The name of the page set.

Return Value

This method returns true if the end user is allowed to view the page set passed in the

strPageToCheck parameter. Otherwise, this method returns false.

Note the following example from the AccessCodeStart.asp.

<%

obj = Server.CreateObject ("NotifyBilling.NotifyBilling.1");

if (! obj.CheckPage ("AccessCode"))

{

Response.Redirect ("NotAllowed.asp");

}

%>

Hope this will help.

Please dont' hesitate to contact us again for further assistance.

Regards.

Muhammad.

fmaisano Thu, 08/21/2003 - 13:47
User Badges:

Will the BBSM recognize and authenticate any NIC with 802.11b or only Cisco NICs? We are looking at using this on a campus where many individuals may not have Cisco NICs.

Thanks,

Frank

muhakhan Thu, 08/21/2003 - 14:28
User Badges:

Hi Frank ! I'm glad you asked that question as most of the customers are confused about it.

For external NICwe support Ethernet 10/100 from any vender.

For Internal NIC, we only support following NICs :

*3COM - 3C9058-TX adn 30905C-TXM

*Intel - Pro/100 + PCI and MiniPCI

*D-Link - DFE-550TX

Please refer to following Data Sheet document for additional hardware requirements :

http://www.cisco.com/application/pdf/en/us/guest/products/ps533/c1650/ccmigration_09186a008010ba18.pdf

Please don't hesitate to contact us for further questions.

Take care.

Regards.

Muhammad.

fmaisano Fri, 08/22/2003 - 06:18
User Badges:

Thanks for the reply. Looking at the pdf on page 4 it states:

"BBSM can be configured to enable a visitor overlay network on the enterprise wireless LAN in areas of a campus where vendors and partners visit. Meetings can have action items executed immediately as partners and contractors VPN back to their headquarters and interface with remote systems. BBSM can be used for web authenticated visitor access while employees bypass BBSM using a secure protocol like LEAP."

What about an employee that may not have a Cisco Wireless card and is therefore not able to use LEAP? Is there another option for authentication?

-Frank

muhakhan Fri, 08/22/2003 - 12:15
User Badges:

Hi Frank ! First we have to keep in mind that BBSM supports following Wireless NIC :

*IEEE 802.11b WiFi Compliant

*Cisco Aironet 340/350

*3COM AirConnect

*Apple AirPort

*BreezeCOM DS.11

*Intel 2011

*Linksys WPC11

*ORiNOCO/Lucent / Wavelan

In addition to LEAP, WEP and PEAP are also secure protocol, so as long as the client is using supported Wireless NIC that supports one of these secure protocols(LEAP, WEP and PEAP), client is good to go.

Please don't hesitate to contact us for further concerns.

Have a good weekend.

Regards.

Muhammad.

tkaetsu Thu, 08/21/2003 - 19:00
User Badges:

Hey Dude,

I have a customer that has a BBSM 5.2 configured with 1100 access points. They are currently using the daily hotel start page. When customers try to connect to it, it just keep going to the start page. We rebooted the server and it's working fine. Is there anything I can check?

muhakhan Thu, 08/21/2003 - 22:58
User Badges:

Hi bro ! Accesspoints have one radio hence one port.

You are trying to usea pageset that is a per port policy. When the port is authenticated, any other user would be allowed straight to the internet without authentication since the first user authorized the port for a 24 hourperiod. This is why DailyHotel is not a valid pageset with AP's. Choose

something like: RADIUS, Credit Card, Accesscodes, Subscription.

Please let us know if you have further questions.

Hope this answers your concern.

Take care.

Regards.

Muhammad.

tkaetsu Fri, 08/22/2003 - 11:38
User Badges:

What your say is true. The reason I'm using the DailyHotel Start Page is because they are offering free internet for now, then plan to change it to Accesscodes. My problem is NO one was able to pass the DailyHotel Start Page . Every time you press connect it would send you right back to the DailyHotel Start Page. I rebooted the BBSM server then the customers were able to pass the DailyHotel Start Page. After rebooting the server everything is working fine. Is there anything I can check?

muhakhan Fri, 08/22/2003 - 14:04
User Badges:

Most of the time this symtom indicates that there is an issue with Port mapping, I would first check the port mapping to make sure everything is correct.

Also, is this happening with one Laptop ? if this is the case, I would also suggest clearing the cache as well.

Last but not least, you need to run trace on your BBSM server:

http://localhost:9488/trace

Enable the trace and then try to reproduce samething, after that go through "Standard Report" under Trace screen, it should tell you a lot, you can also send us the output from "Standard Report".

if you have problem understanding the output.

Please make sure you enable trace during the time of testing only, enabling trace for a long period can cause congestion.

Please let us know if you need further assistance.

Good luck & have a good weekend.

Muhammad.

BERNHARD FIEGLM... Thu, 08/21/2003 - 22:27
User Badges:

Hi

I have really often troubles with the bbsm at some customer sites. right now i have a tac case open, bc every new ap with is entered in the bbsm doesnt really work, the searching.asp is loaded 10-15 times (up to 1min) and then the readiusclear.asp apears. there are about 20 "old" aps with works perfekt and the config is exact the same.

to have any troubleshooting guides for the bbsm, i have just found the normal checks (ip add, snmp and so on)

im really afraid of installing an bbsm bc we always had some problems with it.

best regards bernhard

muhakhan Thu, 08/21/2003 - 23:34
User Badges:

Hi Bernhard ! I'm sorry about the problems you facing there.

I'm assuming that your port mapping is correct and the snmp strings are OK.

Please make sure you are using one of following Wireless NIC cards in your computers :

*IEEE 802.11b WiFi Compliant

*Cisco Aironet 340/350

*3COM AirConnect

*Apple AirPort

*BreezeCOM DS.11

*Intel 2011

*Linksys WPC11

*ORiNOCO/Lucent / Wavelan

Please check to see that you are running latest firmware on the APs as well.

If you are using Aironet 350, you can use following url for some troubleshooting tips :

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/products/hw/wireless/ps458/products_installation_guide_chapter09186a008007f83e.html

I would suggest try checking with multiple Wireless computer to make sure that problem is not associated with computer.

Please don't hesitate to contact me if you have further questions or concerns.

Good luck.

Take care.

Regards.

Muhammad.

fmeetz Tue, 08/26/2003 - 10:05
User Badges:

If the BBSM sever crashes and the database becomes corrupted , can it be restored or we have to re-map

all the rooms in the property?

muhakhan Tue, 08/26/2003 - 10:40
User Badges:

Hi there ! I always recommend backing up port mapping in a file just for this reason.

If you never did the backup of port mapping then you are, unfortunately, out of luck and will have to do a re-map of all the rooms.

You can follow following steps ot backup and restore port mapping :

1. Go to Command prompt on the BBSM server and type following :

c:\>bcp AtDial..Port_Map out portmap.txt -c

where "portmap.txt" is the file where port mapping will be saved, you can name it anything you want.

Once you type the above command, it will ask you for the password, please type the password for MSDE System Admin, the default is "changeme2" unless you changed it to something else.

Save this file on a Floppy or CD for future restore.

2. On the BBSM server, where you want to copy the port mapping from other server, copy the "portmap.txt" file in C:\ and then type following :

a. osql -d AtDial -Q "delete from Port_Map;"

b. bcp AtDial..Port_Map in portmap.txt -c

You are going to use the same password you used in step 1.

Hope this will help.

Take care.

Regards.

Muhammad.

adiamore Wed, 08/27/2003 - 04:57
User Badges:

I understand about the Public IP addressing features for multinet that can be enabled, however, with the BBSM server in between the client and the router, do you have to create two subnets one between the router and the server, and another between the serrver and the clients? Or does the BBSM operate like a bridge for public IP addresses. I noticed that the internal NIC has an IP address but the external does not.

Additionally, Do you know anyone who does web page development for the BBSM for multiple languages, in particular, Japanese, Korean and Chinese?

muhakhan Wed, 08/27/2003 - 15:10
User Badges:

Hi sir !to answer your first question, there is no need to create the second subnet between the router and BBSM. The router just needs route entries for both private and public client subnets pointing to BBSM. The second subnet is required on the internal interface of BBSM (between BBSM and clients) to turn on the multinet feature.

As far as web page development we partner with Application Media for third party programming, but I am not sure if they do different languages. Here is a link that one of the developers sent me:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/netsol/ns110/ns10/ns11/ns243/net_value_proposition0900aecd8007e595.html

Hope this will help.

Take care.

Regards.

Muhammad.

hatchplot Wed, 08/27/2003 - 10:18
User Badges:

Maybe you can help with this my 1st BBSM install. I see this mentioned earlier (April) but I don't see a resolution.

Symptoms

Clients are unable to surf unless transparent proxy is enabled.

Even with transparent proxy enabled clients are unable to retrieve POP3 mail or send with SMTP. No pinging or telnet session are possible. IE they can only see the outside world with transparent proxy.

Without transparent proxy enabled clients can do nothing at all, but it is possible to map the rooms.

Configuration

This is a standard out of the box bridged bbsm server installation with the following configuration.

BBSM Details

Internal IP Range 192.168.255.0 /24

external IP Range 209.203.58.24 /30

Standard out of the box bbsm server installation with addition of Microsoft Server 2000 patches and security updates..

Following service packs and patches applied

BBSM Service pack SP1

SSL patch 5230

Switch details

All switches in one cluster with management IP 192.168.255.2

muhakhan Wed, 08/27/2003 - 12:01
User Badges:

Hi there ! The solution is to disable transparent proxy and define a static route on the internet router as follows:

Ip route

Example IP ROUTE 10.10.2.0 255.255.255.0 10.10.1.2

where:

10.10.2.0 is the Internal network ID

10.10.1.2 is the IP address of the BBSM external NIC

This allows traffic back into the internal network via the external NIC card. This is required if Enable Transparent Proxy is unchecked. If Enable Transparent Proxy is checked,clients attempting to use SSL will be blocked.

All https// requests will return "page can't be found" error. With Transparent Proxy enabled, or any local SSL pages, the server would need a certificate installed.

Transparent proxy should not be used as it only enables web proxy,other traffic such as VPN, SMTP, FTP, etc. would fail unless the static route is in place. Transparent Proxy is designed to enable web proxy globally so that one could use IIS for monitoring which sites had been visited via a web browser.

Also in regard to your mail issues, you would need the SMTP mail server address of the Hotel ISP configured under the SMTP Forwarding IP address in Network Configuration.

Hope this will help.

Take care.

Regards.

Muhammad.

hatchplot Wed, 08/27/2003 - 14:09
User Badges:

Thanks Muhammad

It worked like a charm, and is so obvious I am embarrased not to have worked it out myself. Of course the last place I was looking was the router. As I was convinced it was a BBSM 'bug'

Many thanks

Chris

muhakhan Wed, 08/27/2003 - 14:22
User Badges:

I'm glad it worked Chris.

Take care.

Regards.

Muhammad.

Hi

I have a couple of questions regarding BBSM.

I've a instalation that uses version 5.2 and AP 1100.

The AP ports on the switches use access code. A room client also wants to use a wireless client on the hotel common grounds . How can I send the access code billing to the fidelius billing system associated with the correct room number?

Can I map 2 switch ports to the same room? How will the BBSM send this billing to the fidelius? In double? If so how can I prevent this?

Do the switch ports have to be in access mode? Or can I trunk the ap ports so that I can connect wireless clients on a different vlan than bbsm vlan?

Best regards

Ricardo Pipa

muhakhan Thu, 08/28/2003 - 22:23
User Badges:

Hi Ricardo ! thank you very much for asking very good questions.

Q1. The AP ports on the switches use access code. A room client also wants to use a wireless client on the hotel common grounds . How can I send

the access code billing to the fidelius billing system associated with the correct room number?

Answer: Would require a customized pageset that would allow entering of the room number along with accesscode for access. Please consult the SDK

documentation for creating pagesets :

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/netmgtsw/ps533/products_user_guide_book09186a008019e125.html

Q2. Can I map 2 switch ports to the same room? How will the BBSM send this billing to the fidelius? In double? If so how can I prevent this?

Answer: Multiple switchports can be mapped to the same roomnumber. As far as your billing goes, yes, BBSM will send this as a double charge,as for BBSM client is going out from two different ports. unfortunately there is no way to stop this, this is very interesting scenario, I'll check with developers as well.

Q3. Do the switch ports have to be in access mode? Or can I trunk the ap ports so that I can connect wireless clients on a different vlan than bbsm

vlan?"

Answer: As long as you map the AP's ports you can trunk the switchports to the AP's for supporting on Multiple VLANS.

Note that the 1100 withthe VLAN patch allows for this.

Hope this will help.

Take care.

Regards.

Muhammad.

BERNHARD FIEGLM... Thu, 08/28/2003 - 23:39
User Badges:

Hi Muhammad

I have again one question. We want to install a BBSM in a big company. They have all "user Accounts" in "many" sql databases. they want to authenticate against the sql database. how can i best achive this issue?

reagards Bernhard

muhakhan Fri, 08/29/2003 - 00:08
User Badges:

Hi Bernhad ! It can be done but not without custom webpages. Please consult the SDK Documentation for this :

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/netmgtsw/ps533/products_user_guide_book09186a008019e125.html

Out of the box, BBSM supports:

*Daily Hotel

*Access Codes

*Subscription

*Credit Card (Minute, Block, Daily)

*RADIUS (Any RFC Compliant RADIUS Server)

Variations to the above including SSL.

One thing to remember, the pages provide with BBSM, while fully functional,also provide samples as to what can be done via development.

Anything is possible provided that the customer has the expertise (or willing to pay for it) to create pagesets that meet the customer's needs.

Hope this will help.

Take care.

Regards.

Muhammad.

heiko.bachofner Fri, 08/29/2003 - 01:29
User Badges:

Hi Muhammad,

i am just installing the patches for the bbsm 5.1

The procedure is working fine until MSFIX1. After

that I have to install Java 1.3.1. This installation

was completed. Now I want to install MSFIX2, but the

TRANSFER Screen in the WEBPatch of the BBSM tells me

that JAVA 2 Plug-in is not curently installed on my

system. If I click on Continue the MSFIX2 Patch cannot

be installed.

In the Control-Panel of Mircosoft I see the Java-Plug-in.

Do you have any advice

thank you

kind regards

Heiko

muhakhan Fri, 08/29/2003 - 10:49
User Badges:

Hi Heiko ! You may want to check two things here:

First, make sure the Java plug-in is

installed on the computer that is doing the patch installation. In other words, if the patches are being installed locally on the BBSM server, the Java plug-in should be installed on the BBSM server. If the patches are being installed remotely from a different PC that is remotely connecting to WEBpatch, the Java plug-in should be installed on the remote PC that is doing the install.

Second, make sure the Java plug-in is the correct version. The correct version is j2re-1-3-1-03-win.exe, which can be found on the CCO download site:

http://www.cisco.com/pcgi-bin/tablebuild.pl/bbsm51.

Please make sure that the java plug-in is installed directly onto the computer (NOT using WEBpatch!)

Hope this will help.

Have a great weekend.

Regards.

Muhammad.

hatchplot Fri, 08/29/2003 - 06:59
User Badges:

Hi Guys

I have a hotel which does not want to have guests pay via credit card, IE charge to hotel room only.

Using the megaclear pageset (which seems the right one) how do I stop it asking for guests to choose between credit card details and charge to hotel room on the page after package selection?

cheers

Chris

muhakhan Fri, 08/29/2003 - 10:59
User Badges:

Hi Chris ! Does the hotel NOT want to use the DailyHotel page set? The Daily Hotel only charges to the hotel PMS system.

If you want to use the MegaClear because of the different options, you need to open up a ".asp" file of the corresponding page (all .asp files are under /atcom/ekgnkm) and delete the information you don't want and save that page.

Please make sure you make a copy of the file before you make a change, so that you can go back to original if anything went wrong.

Hope this will help.

Have a great weekend.

Regards.

Muhammad.

Actions

This Discussion