Views
Helpful
Replies

TCP Optimization on a fast link

aalbler
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

we're experiencing poor TCP performance on a Oc3 link because of high delay.(20ms)

The delay is because of length of the line.

I know that I can change the TCP window size to optimize the performance but I would have to do this on several hundreds PCs.

Does anybody know a better way to improve the performance? (e.g. some kind of magic blackbox which adapts the TCP window size)

Regards

Alex

2 Replies 2

deilert
Level 6
Level 6

If you are experiencing poor performance with 20 ms response time , I would not start playing with the TCP window size, 20 ms response is excellent response time , I would have the application and server support start looking a little harder at there piece os the pie, this sounds like a classic exapmle of the application /server guys not knowing how to fix there problem and blaming the network .

To further support your case you can sniff the wire to determine what is causing the poor performance .

Good Luck

20ms isn't bad for a WAN but with a default maximum TCP window size of 64KB, you're limited to ~24mbits/sec per flow if my calculations are correct. I'm not aware of a device that can adjust TCP window values in existing TCP sessions -- offhand, the practicality of such a device seems questionable at best.